I Forge Iron

What are you paying for new steel in your neck of the woods?

I went steel shopping today and came home with 357 lbs of hot rolled A36 in assorted shapes for $310 (not including tax) here in Sacramento. I didn't shop around, I just went down to a local steel supply store and bought new steel off the rack. Works out to a smidge less than 87 cents a pound, cut and loaded into my pickup.  What are you paying where you live?

20180606_150952.jpg

I know, this is not NEW steel, but I bought 41 pounds of scrap steel at the junk yard for $5 last week.  Sure, you take a chance knowing exactly what the steel is but if new steel is going to rise in price it may be worth the risk depending on what you are forging.  If you are a high end knife maker, yeah, you probably aren't going to grab a leaf spring from the scrap yard, but for the rest of us it should be fine.

To put it in perspective, as a flintknapper I pay anywhere from $3 per pound to $5 per pound for flint with some flints being priced by the inch or by the individual piece.  I can't keep smiling every time I leave the scrap yard with all that steel for a few dollars.  Even at 87 cents a pound for new steel it seems rather cheap to me.  I'm sure it doesn't to those who've seen much lower prices in the past.  I too remember the $1 and $2 a pound price of flint a few decades ago.

I bought some steel a couple weeks ago from a local supplier.  Only 2 suppliers near by and this is the cheaper of the 2.  Also this supplier is the only one that carries a selection of tool steels, aluminum, brass, stainless, etc.  They do deliver for free, but the order has to be big enough to make it worth the trucking.  No $20 orders being delivered for free.  They don't have a set dollar for delivery.  But over a couple hundred dollars and they are ok with trucking.

Here was my last order.

stlist.JPG

I've often found differences in price for different vendors for the exact same item when buying steel.  Probably based on when they originally bought it but if I need a bunch well worth calling around and checking.   Usually the smaller cross sections have higher prices per pound in my experience as the amount of work to get them that size trumps the material cost of the steel.

Here in the usa; in general; steel is priced per the 20' stick per the type of cross section and not by weight---save for at the scrapyard where it is generally bought and sold by weight.

you have to be kidding? I received a warning because I posted my local steel suppliers prices? you blokes really take the cake for pettiness.

you should read and follow the rules and read the PM you got, it was posting the advert for your supplier not his prices. You were sent a polite note about it, but we can make it official warning to make you happy.

Another thing to note is that quantity effects prices.  The more you order, the less the price for each stick.  At least with my supplier.  I assume many suppliers have the same practice.    

1 hour ago, Jackdawg said:

you have to be kidding? I received a warning because I posted my local steel suppliers prices? you blokes really take the cake for pettiness.

you should read and follow the rules and read the PM you got, it was posting the advert for your supplier not his prices. You were sent a polite note about it, but we can make it official warning to make you happy.

polite? you sent me a request to pay for "my add" a simple, hey cut the company name off the top and we will be good, would have been polite.

I sent you a polite note about your advertising. There was nothing rude or mean about it, You choose to make an issue of it, then continued by threatening.  Advertising policy is clearly laid out in the posts that all are told to read if you didnt, dont blame me, as for the other suggestion, OK since you insist

at first He was not moderated for it.  NOR were there any warning points.  Just a PM,   He was told about his posting advertising then he insisted on making an issue of it.    

They yell if I dont tell people when I take a post off line,  then I get yelled at when I send a PM informing him about it,   Some of you people are so hard to please, in the end I can be just as stubborn about it..   Lets all get back on track OK

1 hour ago, Marc1 said:

I don't see how posting a third party price list from another country can be seen as advertising. 

Every country is another country to someone.  who said it was just a price list ? doesnt matter, if you cant understand what advertising is please read the posted rules and follow them to avoid problems,

his post is not deleted just taken off line only staff can still see it.

The previous post by Rob S was a sales receipt with no names, just size, quantity and price. Not a problem. 

The post by Jackdawg was 2 full advertisement flyer with names, addresses, and phone numbers and business hours of operation. It was clearly the company advertisement.

The rules on advertising are in place because otherwise IForgeIron would be overrun with advertising. The seller would get a deal, buyer would get a deal, and the Forum would get nothing, not even a thank you. We are about information and listing the prices provides that information. Listing the seller or their location of those prices is advertising for the seller. 

The moderators have specific instructions. If things are taken off line (off the forum and to a private discussion) they are discussed in private. Many times an off line discussion is all that is needed. If they are posted in public then they are answered in public. 

Jackdawg:

The following is acceptable, just remove the white space used to cover the advertising. and the advertising. This way the prices are still there, just not which company has them. 

You post would then be as follows:

On 6/7/2018 at 12:04 PM, Jackdawg said:

Interesting way you pay for steel. Steel is priced per metre length for various cross sections here. Slightly cheaper by the full length.  It might be worked out behind the scenes on weight, I don't know. Certainly not sold that way.

couple of examples of prices from one supplier location removed Brisbane, Australia. First is plain square bar, second medium carbon steel you might uses to make hammers etc. (multiply by about 0.75 to convert to rough price in US dollars).

Advertising removed 2.jpg

Advertising removed 3.jpg

As the thread has gotten overheated, I think adjustments should be made.

First: Explain how the rules work. 

Second: Adjust the 30 day suspension to a moderation, which will time out.

Third:  Realign the anvils to North, and return to being civil and respectful.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:07 AM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I see you are in Sack of tomatoes. Do you ever go to Blue Collar Supply?  When I had my shop in Fairfield we bought from Castle and PDM mostly. Blue Collar was great for shorts of various materials.

Yes, I actually went there first.  I bought some hardware for my anvil stand and lifting beam but I bought the steel at a different supplier a few hundred yards down the street which has a much better selection.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:46 AM, MC Hammer said:

I know, this is not NEW steel, but I bought 41 pounds of scrap steel at the junk yard for $5 last week. 

My son is a flintknapper too, he's made hundreds of pieces that I find beautiful and awe inspiring.  I marvel at the skill required to make each piece.  After I told him today what I paid for the steel, he lamented that his hobby is more expensive than mine.  Not sure that is true as he makes all of his own tools, but I didn't know how much he was paying for flint.

I haven't been to a scrap yard yet.  I'm sure I will go but I'm new to blacksmithing and have enough learn without adding mystery steel in as another hurdle.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a steel supply house here in northern Delaware that sells drops for $0.65/lb. I was sorely tempted last weekend to pick up a 107lb piece of 5.5" round stock for use as a shop anvil, but I ended up passing on it. I may check back in a week or two and see if it's still there after next payday.