I Forge Iron

Grandpa's Arm & Hammer Anvil

My Grandfather passed earlier this year and I inherited His Anvil. I'm Blessed beyond words. I'm pretty sure it belonged to His Father as well. Great Grandpa had a shop but mostly did mechanics. Grandpa was a real Montana Cowboy, you'd be hard pressed to meet a better Man. One of my earliest memories was of Him having me straighten these huge nails on that as a kid. He did His own Hot Shoe for His horses which I loved to watch.

I'm leery about dressing the edges. I don't intend to do any heavy work with it, I'm not a smith. I'd use it on the farm for repairs and such. I built a brake drum forge years ago. This is my prized possession now. I'm very honored to have it and hope one of my Grand kids will appreciate it when I'm gone. The ring and rebound are amazing, I can't wait to get it hot and shine it up. Is it odd that this doesn't have an oval depression in the base?

I'd love to know any history on it if someone could run the numbers please. Serial # 15237. Thank you

Sorry it's so pic heavy.

AH anvil 7.JPG

AH anvil 5.JPG

AH anvil 3.JPG

AH anvil 2.JPG

AH anvil 1.JPG

AH anvil 4.JPG

AH anvil 6.JPG

AH anvil 8.JPG

AH anvil 9.JPG

AH anvil 10.JPG

AH anvil 11.JPG

Just a little more on this. My Brother brought it out to me from Montana. He had it in the back of his truck for two weeks while he was working a hitch in Seattle. I was terrified someone would snag it for scrap. I tried to tell him that people with the fever can smell an anvil as they drive by, He thought I was crazy. I'm just very happy to have it home. I pulled my Peter Wright out and this will be going in the shop instead, on a nice hardwood block. My neighbors are going to love the ring lol, glad I'm out in the country. Did you notice that well seasoned coffee cup? Coffee and Grand kids are the meaning of life. You let them munch on some coffee beans and s'mores then send them home to their unwitting parents. lol Thanks for looking. 

Unless the edges are really sharp, I wouldn't do anything with them for now. If you find after a year or two of use that there's something that you can't work around or something that would be a substantial improvement, then give it a go.

Congratulations on the inheritance.

Sluicebox, that is one fine looking anvil face. And those edges are mighty fine for 1912-ish. Just for perspective, I have had my 1906 Soderfors for a year and a half now. The edges could use some dressing, but every nick and chip has a story, and none of those "flaws" have kept me from getting things done. Granted, I am not a production blacksmith (currently more an avid cold-worker with little time for my passions).

It would be all about discovering the need for a controlled radius, and then gradually working a radius in, larger toward the horn, and diminishing toward the heel (my preference). This is based on the school of thought that heavier edge work is done toward the horn, lighter, toward the heel. Keep in mind that one may have any radius (or other form) that one may desire on the edges of a Hardy Tool.

Thrilling white-knuckle, heart-pounding story about your Grandpa's anvil sending up smoke signals from the bed of your brother's truck!

Enjoy,

Robert Taylor

Very nice anvil, there is nothing better than working with tools that belonged to your grandfather. I inherited a lot of my grandfathers tools and could feel his presence while using them. Unfortunately some miscreant broke into my van and stole the majority of them. I still have his 2lb cross peen hammer that is my go to in the smithy, even though I have about 25 more that hang on the wall racks.

I always figured it was the double negative effect:   Your parents were rebelling against their parents and you were rebelling against them so a good chance you and your grandparents end up similar...1 * -1 * -1 = 1

My Grandpa has told family that he thinks I'm the only one who could survive another great Depression---till I got adult onset juvenile diabetes that is; now I'm tied to the success of western civilization...

SB

Congrats on the family Arm and Hammer.  I am similarly blessed with a family A&H.  Mine from the 20s were my cousins Grandfather used it in his blacksmith shop in the 20s.  when he gave that up to install new fangled blow in insulation, it went to my uncle Marv who placed it at my Maternal granfathers where I have known it my whole life.  The pleasure I get from making things on it, feeling the connection with my family is very powerful.  

forge136a.jpg