I Forge Iron

M&H Armitage Mouse Hole Anvil Questions

I was gifted this Armitage anvil last weekend. The top face is pretty beat up, but I'll try using it and see how it does. Also had a hardy tool shank stuck in it that I punched out after letting it sit overnight with penetrating oil. Markings appear to me to be M&H .... Armitage.... Mouse .....1-0-16 -- so 128 lbs?

I don't have access to the Mousehole book - can anyone give me an approximate age guess?

This is the third anvil I've seen lately that has numerous center punch like holes in the sides - what job/process was being completed to leave these marks on anvils???

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

14 hours ago, tanglediver said:

If the stamping reads, "M&H Armitage Mouse Hole", these anvil were made from about 1820 to 1835.

Consider also that Mousehole started adding pritchel holes around 1830. If there's a slight bulging around the hole on the underside of the anvil, then it was punched as part of the manufacturing process; that means your anvil is roughly 1830-1835. If there is no bulging, then the anvil was probably retrofitted with a drilled pritchel hole and is probably 1820-830.

• 11 months later...

I have what I believe is a mouse hole anvil, it was found in pieces and I put it back together and it is a great anvil with good ring /rebound. I have been using it for years and just discovered some markings and would like any info I can find on it. I have used many anvils and this is a good one just a little ugly'

mouse 178.jpg

mouse Id.jpg

Mouse marks.jpg

mouse.jpg

Welcome aboard Metal 1905, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

If you wipe the yellow stuff off surface it'll make stamped characters and features like  LOGO stand out. Right now it's blending everything together too much to read well. Oblique lighting when you shoot pictures will help make textures stand out better as well. That's light from a low angle to one side. Direct lighting like a flash reflect straight back and glare out details of texture. 

What's that old lady weigh? From what I can see the face looks to be in good condition with only minor chipping on the edges. Can't see the horn through the rag though. Mounting it on a birch block looks very Alaskan, it's about our only hardwood of any size.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm in the north branch part of Mich, the hardy hole end was broke off and most of the horn missing, the only parts I couldn't put back on was the two missing feet. If you blow up the pictures you will see the little bit of marks, so much pitting I removed the yellow a little at a time but no luck. I can see from the pictures the stone weight (Some of it) and two or three letters, she is 178 lbs set on a bath scale.

• 2 months later...

Very few anvils are Date stamped; some American anvils have a serial number that can be correlates to a date.  What you are working with is configuration---does it have an original pritchel hole?  And what is stamped into it.

Date has very little to do with how good an anvil it is or the value of the anvil; but if you must know, buy a copy of Anvils in America and try to match the stampings to what is recorded in it. (I have a 1828 William Foster which I paid US$15 for as it was in terrible state---WF are one of the few date stamped english anvils)

• 3 weeks later...

"Anvils in America" has over 500 pages dealing with anvils, their configuration and their stamping."Mousehole Forge" (both by Richard Postman) has over 100 pages on just those anvils.   I am in the middle of moving and cannot type in that much stuff as well as not wanting to abrogate Mr Postman's copyright---he's a nice guy and has identified several anvils for me when I saw him at Quad-State---including one missing the entire top half of the anvil and only having the weight stamp and the flats on the feet to identify it from.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I once sat a *MINT* NOS buffalo "RR" forge, WWII surplus, complete with all the bells and whistles go for US$1200 back in the 1990's. Never had a fire in it and stored in a warehouse since WWII. Original paint even in the bed!  I saw it at a used machinery company that had been big army surplus folks way back when.  I mentioned it on rec.crafts.metalworking (back when the net was ascii based!) and a fellow working off shore oil---in the gulf I believe; bought it and had it shipped!

• 6 months later...

Good day, new to the site and hobby, been reading about it for years. Ran across this Mouse Hole this morning. I think it is a good purchase but wanted to run it by you guys. For what I have read and watched it seems to be in really good condition. It has what I think to be good rebound. 

20200319_121208.jpg

20200319_122100.jpg

20200319_122242.jpg

20200319_122122.jpg

What is the percentage rebound when doing the ball bearing test?  You don't need to guess; it's an objective number!

That type of anvil should have a ring when tapped.  Does it?

How thick is the face plate? Any signs of grinding or welding on it?

Stamped weight is 136 pounds.

Not knowing the price and the location makes it hard to tell if it's a good purchase or not.

I have a 136# mousehole also, not as good shape as yours looks, but it works great. If the rebound is good you have an excellent anvil. Remember not to grind the face, just take a wire brush to it and give it a coat of BLO (boiled linseed oil) Check the rebound with a ball bearing dropped in front of a ruler from 10" to get % of rebound.