I Forge Iron

M&H Armitage Mouse Hole Anvil Questions

ToManyHobbies: Do you have a less cumbersome handle we can address you by? 

Stick around, we enjoy helping new folk get good and addicted to the craft and will happily vet any videos you'd like to watch. There are quite a few good videos and associated discussions in the video review section of IFI. Home page and scroll down, it's there be patient we do a LOT of talking. :D 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 9 months later...

Hi!

I recently inherited a mouse hole anvil. I've read throught this thread but didn'r see anything about numbers on the vertical face of the foot under the horn end. There also looks to be a '5' on its side with out the top... so kind of like a cup with a straight handle. Does any one know about these? 

Edit: photos added.

20210119_155334.jpg

20210119_155429.jpg

Edited by WazzaB
Photos loaded

From AIA, the S/N dates it to after 1896, but before 1911.  The trademark stamps don't match the illustrations in AIA. Sooo I would call it a turn of the century Mouse Hole.

AIA has lots of great research, RP documented what he had personally seen or had good solid proof of. Lots of info out there still to be found and added.

WazzaB, if you are interested in more information and the history of Mousehole anvils, Richard Postman has another book, Mousehole Forge, that goes into the extensive history of the forge and anvils...fascinating insight in to the fine old anvils.  I'm not a history buff but when my son gifted me a copy of AIA, Mr. Postman graciously sent along an autographed copy of Mousehole Forge.  I've read it several times and learn something new each time.  I don't even own a Mousehole anvil, mine is a Hay Budden, LOL