I Forge Iron

Mark III JABOD forge

Good idea IDF&C.  Charles,I had a pizza stone and was going to try it out but I think I left it behind when I moved from a two bedroom apartment to a studio apartment. I left almost everything. I have some firebrick too but they all melt eventually. A soapstone tuyere and slab for a wall would be nice but until then I have bricks I can use. I have a bunch of cored bricks with the holes going down the center. They crack quickly so when the solid bricks wear out I'll use the cored bricks with firebrick facing. If I'm off work again today I'll get it done. I have to call daily to see how many guests we had the night before. I could use the money but I'm getting lazy with all this time off. I'm just happy I can light a fire again.

Pnut

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Sandy gets mad if I pee in the sink...

Charles,

A SLAG suggestion,

I close the bathroom door when I sink pee. 

Methinks your boss is jealous.

Best regards, kiddo,

SLAG.

An old cowboy saying was, "A gentleman cowboy moves the dishes out of the way before he pees."

Living in the forest has it's benefits, unless Deb's out and about here I can pee anywhere the feeling strikes. However, if the motion sensor yard lights came on when I took it out to take a pee, I'd probably get arrested for showing off. . . Often.

Unless I'l lazing about watching the tube I wash before and after. I know where my hands have been and I know where JR. has been, the choice is obvious.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah. Statistically, last I heard, fewer than 1 in 7 men wash their hands after going to the toilet. I don't know how accurate it was when I read it but I have to reason to be that optimistic. I've been using the men's room all my life and it's led me to not want to shake anybody's hand or touch anything in a men's room. 

I'm beginning to wonder if more men aren't feeling the way I do recently.  

Frosty The Lucky.

True, I carry a bottle of hand sanitizer that came home with me from my Memorial day stay in the hospital and wear glove so I haven't visited the men's in more than a week, I think. The time before there were guys waiting their turn at the sink and the guys washing were doing it with a vengeance, maybe even for a full 20-30 seconds.  I sure hope it's the start of a cultural behavior. 

A fellow contacted me a couple days ago. He's "visiting" from Juneau, the state capitol in South East Ak. AKA the panhandle. Anyway, he the wife, and kids maybe I don't know, were on an extended vacation or business trip, I'm not sure. Anyway, they've been here more than 3  months and can't go home now. Alaska has a strict travel ban and you can't drive to Juneau, fly float or do some extreme hiking. They're here for the duration. He didn't bring his carving chisels and is going crazy without something to do. We talked on the phone a bit and I dug out some coil spring and a pair of V bit tongs so he could teach himself to forge his own carving chisels. <Evil knowing grin> 

I hung the tongs and spring on the fence out by the barn where he could pick them up and turn around without coming close. Deb was adamant he not get close or leave the house. She's being very cautious and I'm not taking chances, I didn't need the . . . help. . . (HELP Meeeee!:o!) :lol:. Anyway, Lucas might subscribe to IFI like I recommended. I forgot to recommend he use a sledge hammer head as an anvil but I'm sure he'll call or ask here.

I'm pretty sure he'll follow the long established pattern of a wood worker wanting or needing a special tool and cringing at the cost soooooo they decide to forge their own. A couple chisels or knives and another victim of the blacksmithing addiction is hooked! 

New guy's a coming!

Frosty The Lucky.

Herr Frosty,

That is how I got hooked into smith steel.

I needed some exotic type wood chisels and regular gouges. Some of those tools came with eye watering prices.

So  .....

Tell Mr. Lucas  to beware!

SLAG.

What the two of you are describing is exactly how I got interested in blacksmithing. I couldn't justify buying some of the more unusual woodworking tools I wanted, but I could always learn how to make them... and a new hobby was born. Being able to make my own hooks, hinges, and the like is just the icing on the cake. I finished my box bellows today, and tomorrow I'm going to build my JABOD forge. Hope to be making my first things on my own this weekend. :)

I was really turned on by the rediscovery of patternwelding here in the states and with blades running 100 US$ per inch I thought "I can't afford them as a poor starving student, I'll learn to make my own!"   Oh the laugh I get out of that nowadays!  I could have bought the fanciest blade available at that time much cheaper than doing it as a hobby down the years. I learned that you make blades because YOU HAVE TO; burns, grinder bites, slices  just are part of what you endure to be a part of the creation.

Once you have the equipment and some of the skills there is a lot of other things you can do; and if you get into high level historical reenactment you can really go wild!

It has? I thought it'd been capped!

A good friend of ours is the perfect Halibut fisher . . . woman. She loves halibut fishing but doesn't like eating it and spreads it among friends. Fresh halibut is running around $23. / lb in Anchorage. Way cheaper than a  halibut charter.

Frosty The Lucky.

This old timer went fishing with a Game & Fish officer. When they got to the middle of the lake the old timer lit a half stick of dynamite & threw it in. The officer said don't you realize it's against the law to use dynamite and I should arrest you. The old timer lit the other half and handed it to the officer and said, "you gonna talk or fish"?