I Forge Iron

Mark III JABOD forge

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Charles can I ask where you got the air pump? I've looked all over town for one but all I can find are the skinny bike ones.

EDIT: Found it on Amazon - can I revise my question and ask how you are liking it still? Would it be a lot of work with lump charcoal? I don't have access to coal/coke in my area.

I just did a quick search using "Hand pump mattress inflater" for terms a n d . . .What Todd just said while I was typing. :)

I've been picking up 12v blower, mattress inflaters at yard, garage, etc. sales for next to nothing for years. Recently if Deb's along and I show interest in one she says something like, "Don't you have enough of those?" and I have the seller toss it in free if I buy something else. Here asking is usually $0.50 - $1. Walmart gets around $10 in season and a couple bucks in closeout season.

You can run one of these all day on a motorcycle battery ad they put out WAY too  much air. Not saying you should but it's an option. Options are good you  know.  ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a hard time finding the larger one at Wally World, tho you can order them. Sporting goods stores that deal in camping gear tend to have them. 

For small coal forges they work just fine. It’s hard to get to melt it temps so they are a bit slower to heat but with a good arm and patience welding heat is doable. It’s not optimal for welding heats and 1” stock but for 1/2” square or smaller it is just fine.  A pump with twice the valum would be idea if you are trying to get to a 6” welding heat in 1” stock using charcoal. 

I mounted mine horizontal under the box with the handle protruding towards my legs. I made the box tall so putting it under the front is reachable, but even after only doing it for a few minutes I can see how having it a bit higher would make it easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Charles R. Stevens,  I've bought a double action pump similar to yours to use with charcoal in a four inch wide by five inches deep trench type jabod. The pump I bought is a 14.5 inch double quick III S . I hope it puts out enough air. I work stock usually no larger than .75in. three eighths mostly.  

My tuyere is 1inch schedule forty pipe. I nearly forgot to mention that. I was wondering if the 21 inch pump is more than adequate. Does it make more air than you need without having to pump like a madman. If so I think the smaller one I purchased should suffice. If not I may need to order the 21inch pump as my local Walmart doesn't stock it 

I will let everyone know how the smaller pump works out. It's going to be a while though. I'm out of stock fuel and time. So when I get all three I'll post an update. 

You might try a 3/4” schedual 40 pipe for your tuyer, if it dosnt seem to work well with the 1”. Schedual 80 pipe is dang near spot on for the advertised ID but as schedual 40 shares the same OD its ID is bigger, thus 3/4” schedual 40 is close to 7/8” ID wile 1” is close to 1 1/4.  I would think your tue would work but I know 3/4 works plus the air hose fits right in with just a rap or two of electrical tape.

Charles I have an electric mattress inflator I just don't like the noise or having to run a fifty foot extension cord to it. Otherwise it's working great.  I would rather not have all the racket the electric pump makes. Thanks though if it doesn't want to heat up I'll switch to a smaller tue. Hopefully I won't have to.

Oh yeah thanks for posting such a simple forge. At first I Naturally wanted to complicate things unnecessarily. The good idea fairy likes to pay me a visit once in a while. Good ideas are the worst things that can happen sometime

Thanks.                                                             Pnut   (Mike)

I don’t care for the noise either. You can put it in a box with the air holes facing away form you. The electric is just about a requirement for using coal as you would need two of the hand pumps to push the required air.

the JABOD forge was the result of my experiments with side blast, and as a counter to the brake drum forge. The Mk II is intended as a portable demo forge to show folks how inexpensive and simple blacksmithing can be

Charles, you were successful. It did just that. Showed me how inexpensive and simple building a forge can be.  Once again it was a great help and I'm sure there's many others out there who haved  benefitted  from your posts also.

Pnut (Mike)   

• 7 months later...