I Forge Iron

Mark III JABOD forge

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I tinkered a bit this evening. My boards I had on hand were too big (2x12). Might go buy a 2x8 tomorrow as well as some kitty litter since my dirt was super loose. Still gotta figure out how to chip some spot out of my brick for the tuyere too. Dirt kept falling in since I didn't have brick there. The daylight  picture is when I first fired up. The dark picture is after I had turned my air off to shut down for the evening.  I managed to flatten out about 2.5 inches of 3/8" round bar to start working on a rake, but that was all I got done tonight before it was getting too late to be pounding steel in the driveway. 

20200812_201537.jpg

received_680383799217605.jpeg

As my brick was old soft brick as a power to new soft brick I used a cold chisel and patience. Hard brick may well require a different method but if you aren’t on tearing it down each use Adobe works real well, and you can use the deeper box just either install the floor higher, fill it al the way with dirt or cut notches and sculpt your trench walls up against the walls. 

I used an angle grinder to grind a semicircle in the corner of two bricks. Before that I just put a split firebrick between the two bricks and overtop of the pipe. 

Pnut

11 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Forgot to mention in this case it’s shallow only something like 2” deep. I will have to measure it. 

The depth of mine is the thickness of one bricks but the bricks on the side allow me to pile fuel above the level of the hearth.

Pnut

• 4 months later...

Iam bit confused about deepnes of firepot. I find it more easy if firepot is higher than deeper.  I can't find where my tuyere is from airsource, so i build fire more higher than deeper. But i saw  that you make your fire deep.

• 3 months later...

I'm with you Natkova, if I need a deeper fire I make the coal pile taller. My coal forge is a "Duck's Nest" and has NO fire pot, trench, etc. The pan has a layer of compacted clayey dirt with a depression only deep enough to expose the air grate. I have a number of 3,000f fire bricks I can arrange around the air grate to make any shape ad size fire I need. Sometimes I block most of the air grate and don't use the bricks.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:05 PM, Jealdi said:

Box is 2x8 cut down to make a 24 inch square.

You might want to pull the pipe back flush with the bricks or you'll burn it off pretty quickly. 

16 hours ago, SinDoc said:

Would US Stove 2000F fire bricks work for a JABOD? Or would the fire exceed their rating

They'll eventually melt but they're consumables so just replace them. I use them sometimes and they work just fine. 

Pnut