I Forge Iron

Mark III JABOD forge

I get it I get it! Being a Gvt. employee the officer didn't know you can just pull the fuse and cap out of the stick! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

I'll be back as soon as I stop laughing and can catch my breath!

That's like the one about why people going postal shoot supervisors. They can't hit a  moving target.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandfather ran a Bait business  in Arkansas back in the 1960's, had a vertical set up: minnow ponds down near Havana AR, wholesale route and a retail store in Fort Smith.  I've heard that tale and several others over the years....The ones I really liked ended with I can see you are not convinced; come out to the pickup...and a paddle fish, gar, or huge catfish would be filling the bed...Shame that the big old ones are not the best eating...

Back before the Arkansas river was "Cored by Engineers", some folks used to go "fishing" off the bridge when the water was up using half inch manila rope, a blacksmith forged hook and some fresh roadkill.   Now for gar you use a different method trying to tangle up their teeth...

For me the trotline is the epitome of fishing;  put it out and when you come back there is food on it!  My Aunt and Uncle like jug fishing on the lake for catfish.  I think one of my cousins has a Bass Boat...

I have the new forge done basically. I need to put some 2x2's in the corners to stiffen it up some. I've left the bottom open so I can push the corner of the box off of the SS table and let the litter drain into a bucket so I need a couple cross members added. I only have 2 L brackets in each corner holding it together currently so it needs some stiffening up so it doesn't fold up. I don't have a saw to cut the wood so I have to wait until I see the landlord and can borrow a saw. I don't want to buy one right now due to being on Coronacation. I'll post some pics later if the rain doesn't start back up. 

Pnut

Once you get it working you can forge some spiffy corner and dump door slide brackets thingies, pnut. Don't need no steeenkeeeng 2 x 2"s to stiffen your corners with hand forged corner brackets. 

New guys, you tells em and you tells em. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

I already have two L brackets on each corner holding it together but  they're only fastened with woodscrews into particle board like used for sub flooring so there's a pretty good chance they will rip out and it will fold flat if any lateral pressure is applied while it's empty as there's no bottom on the box.;-)..  I'm going to screw a 2x2 in each corner vertically where the sides meet to make it a bit stronger. I know it won't last long but the wood was in the burn barrel already cut in four equal board lengths so I commandeered it for forge service. It will last for a little bit anyway. It's mainly a test bed for a brick firepot. My last two jabods had trench firepots. When I get it dialed in I'll make something more durable. 

Pnut

Quick question for you Charles, how far down from the top of the box did you drill your hole for the tuyere? I made mine the distance of the thickness of a brick from the top of the box but haven't fired this one up yet. I was wondering as I don't remember and can't find the notes I took or any pictures of the first one I built.  I think it was the thickness of a brick so it would sit flush with the top of the box. It worked great too I wish I could find the little notepad with the measurements. Thanks. 

Pnut. 

• 4 months later...

Clay or hard fire bricks, cement pavers or bricks tend to spald more. Further cement is made buy heating the material to drive out the molecular water, then it is reweted to allow a chemical process to make it hard and durable, a clay or fire brick are actually fired to vitrify the clay and make it hard.

Old coworker of mine had some solid red bricks in their backyard from when an old school building was torn down several years ago. They appear to be clay brick, so I took a handful home. going to see if I can build something up tonight or tomorrow. Gotta check my wood stock and see what I've got that I can use for a box. Probably just steal some dirt out of the wife's raised garden since it's empty right now.

I've found all  the bricks I use. It seems like it's getting harder to find new clay bricks. I dug up about twenty behind my house. 

I tried to use some pierced bricks but they cracked in about thirty minutes. You're on the right track looking for old demolished buildings. You can also just use clay without the bricks. It's not as easily portable though as bricks and dry fill. 

Pnut

I did some brief online searching yesterday at work... seems almost impossible to find "new" red clay bricks. Everything is cement or concrete now. I think the ones I got last night will be good. I made sure to only grab ones that did not have the holes in the center. Grabbed 8 of them, hopefully will get some time this evening to get into the garage and work on it.  I did try building a small fire just in the wife's garden bed last night sans brick to test out my tuyere and blower. I think it will work nicely. Will get photos if I get any build time this evening.

74158.thumb.jpeg.addd3dfa77f4d1082cdace292975438a.jpeg

Often non-red house brick is made with clays that hold up a bit better than the red brick, which are made predominantly with earthenware clays. This is not always so, but worth keeping in mind. Many times the tan bricks have a percentage of buff stoneware or fire clay to make them lighter in apperiance.

These types of brick are sometimes fired soft and so can take a bit more. Still, finding a stash of low quality firebrick is perfect.

Taylor