I Forge Iron

True prices for hand cranked blowers

Glenn

• 4 months later...

I have bought 2 each Cannady Ottos for $50 each. I gave $25 for a rivet forge with a good small sheet metal Buffalo blower. Both of my Cannady's needed a simple clean up. the Buffalo needed a little adjustment and cleaning, the rivet forge pan was rusted thru.

I see lots of blowers for $25 to $150 at hammer-ins. Quad State is the best for tailgating.

I payed $225 and $30 bucks of fuel to drive there.

its a rivet forge that came with the stamped 24 inch bowl that is haflway
rusted on the bottom but the legs are in good shape.

The blower is, CAN BLOWER& FORGE CO. The gears are tight
and the case is thick cast so itl be good for lots of spinning.
Its at least 50 years old.

As you can see from the replies to your question, price varies. It depends on where you purchase it, flea market, auction, guild/club meeting, and how quickly you want one. If you want one immediately then you will have to pay premium prices. If you are willing to scrounge around for a couple of years, you might come upon a very good bargain. The more people get into blacksmithing, the more demand, the higher the prices will go for a limited supply of antique blowers.

• 12 years later...

Condition, location, and model will all make a difference. If you post some pics and update your profile with your general location you'll probably get some answers fairly quickly. 

Welcome aboard, be safe, and remember it's supposed to be fun. 

Pnut

I bought a Champion #140 blower in excellent shape in 2018 for $60 US.

100_1995.thumb.JPG.e67f4a094fb7c1d2ec91e0ef5cd1857e.JPG

One of our club members bought one a while back and she paid $50 US at a barn sale. I believe it is a Champion Lancaster #40 also in excellent shape. We poured in a little WD40 to cut the gunk and it was running as smooth as silk.

1032344065_blower1.jpg.20cf00c1b5ba4747ad78672ed4c7bd1d.jpg

2116701233_blower3.jpg.58cf0ef774701657f6011abd90150d59.jpg

A member here sold me a Buffalo No. 700 for 50 bucks in good working order. I was very grateful as the prices around here were pretty high. I've seen a few since then I'm my area for reasonable prices. I seen a Champion 400 with the stand in working condition for $125 a while back. I should have gotten it.  

Pnut

The one for $125 started out at $250. I told him if he didn't find a buyer at $125 I'd buy it if he brought it to me. I guess he found someone. I kinda regret not getting it though. 

Pnut 

The same IFI member who sold the blower to me also sold me a post vise for next to nothing. Those on the other hand have just gotten more expensive since then in my area. 

Todd; I have a used car; tell me how much it's worth!   (With that much information the answer would be US$200 scrap price to several million US Dollars;  not a very useful spread.  What would you need to know to give an answer: Make, Model, Condition and Location for starters---same thing for blacksmithing stuff.  Not giving a location is OK if you are willing to pay for international shipping to foreign countries, World Wide Web you know!)

• 4 months later...

Kinda depends on the location…

here in eastern Oklahoma I’ve been buying forge blowers from $50 to $75 in good working condition on average, but I have seen as high as $125, but other places blowers bring higher or lower. 

ive read somewhere that the Buffalo 500 was actually a air supply blower for civil defense shelters but I’m sure it would work okay for a forge