I Forge Iron

Made a forge and a burner but it’s not getting enough oxygen what do I do

Tock

For one thing, your mixing tube is too short; it is supposed to by nine times the pipes ACTUAL inside diameter. Actual inside diameters of pipe are always larger than its call-out size. Nine diameters between the reducer and the end of the pipe.

Worse is your flame nozzle; it has no taper and it has no spacer ring; it needs one or the other.

First and foremost lets address the issue that will kill you if you attempt to use that forge.

RIDGIDIZE YOUR BLANKET!!!!!!!

now to the burner.

Lile mikey said your flare needs flared and your mixing tube is to short.  Also the pipe you are using for a gas feed is to large and blocking oxygen from being pulled in.  If i remember the reil plans correctly they call for a 1/8" nipple there to allow more air flow.  We also dont know what size orriface you drilled im guessing its way to large i would recomend a #72

On 1/20/2018 at 8:11 PM, ThomasPowers said:

WHAT IS THE REGULATOR SET TO? AND WHY POST THE SAME ISSUE MULTIPLE TIMES?

I am new to the site and didn’t think it uploaded my pictures so I tried it 2 more times.    SORRY dude! I am building a ron reil burner exactly to spec this time not just scraps that I had laying around in my garage.    I will ridgidize my blanket  I looked at the post on that.  Do I just use refractory cement for that?  I thought it was ok for less than $19 but now I realize that shortcuts aren’t working.  Few more bucks to spend on this thing but i will keep building till I get it right. 

3 hours ago, Tock said:

I am new to the site and didn’t think it uploaded my pictures so I tried it 2 more times.    SORRY dude! I am building a ron reil burner exactly to spec this time not just scraps that I had laying around in my garage.    I will ridgidize my blanket  I looked at the post on that.  Do I just use refractory cement for that?  I thought it was ok for less than $19 but now I realize that shortcuts aren’t working.  Few more bucks to spend on this thing but i will keep building till I get it right. 

Look up "fumed silica powder" on Amazon or EBay - it's a lot cheaper to mix your own rigidizer than to buy the premade stuff and pay for shipping all that water.

Tock, I recently read through the Forges 101 one and a half time to get my head around how to build a forge. If you haven't done so, I highly recommend it.

Rigidizing is done by spritzing a rigidizer on the ceramic insulation blanket after installing it. The rigidizer can for instance be "fumed silica powder" in water and some food coloring for increased visibility. After drying out you use the burner to set it. You'll find more details in the Forges 101 thread. 

In addition to rigidizing, it is adviced that you line the inside of the forge with refractory. This protects the insulation from damage, makes it last longer, and prevents fibers being dislodged and causing harm to you.

Finally, some people use a kiln wash after lining with refractory. This thin layer helps reflect heat back from the walls and heat whatever you are working with.

Hope this was clarifying, and if I said something wrong, I'm sure some more experienced members will correct me!

14 minutes ago, EspenL said:

Tock, I recently read through the Forges 101 one and a half time to get my head around how to build a forge. If you haven't done so, I highly recommend it.

Rigidizing is done by spritzing a rigidizer on the ceramic insulation blanket after installing it. The rigidizer can for instance be "fumed silica powder" in water and some food coloring for increased visibility. After drying out you use the burner to set it. You'll find more details in the Forges 101 thread. 

In addition to rigidizing, it is adviced that you line the inside of the forge with refractory. This protects the insulation from damage, makes it last longer, and prevents fibers being dislodged and causing harm to you.

Finally, some people use a kiln wash after lining with refractory. This thin layer helps reflect heat back from the walls and heat whatever you are working with.

Hope this was clarifying, and if I said something wrong, I'm sure some more experienced members will correct me!

Thank you for your help look forward to furthering the build. 

@Tock, please don’t quote the entire comment you’re replying to — it eats up bandwidth,  slows page loading for our members who use dial-up, and makes the forum harder to read for everyone.

If you’re replying to something specific, highlight it and click the “quote this” button that will appear. 

Tock, that is going to be a great forge once you get it sorted.  I like the construction and your door set up.  see you have it shown with the burner at 12 o'clock and at about 10 oclock.  On my next one I will put it off to the 10 o'clock or so spot.  I've had a few times when there was not enough breeze blowing through the garage that the plume of exhaust got taken back in through the burner intake.  caused it to cut out and had me perplexed till Frosty set me straight.  If off to the side, it would be less likely to ingest the exhaust.  

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:30 PM, Mikey98118 said:

Worse is your flame nozzle; it has no taper and it has no spacer ring; it needs one or the other.

Hi Mikey - so both together would not be a good idea? I'm rebuilding my forge and casting the nozzle into the Kastolite 30. I've turned a mold plug on the lathe and it's shape has some spacer distance built in and the 12-1 taper. The "more is better" theory being applied. LOL Should I put it back on the lathe and lose the spacer distance?