I Forge Iron

Anvil buying advice requested

I've been using a large rail track chained to a big stump while also searching for an anvil. I found a local seller who has two options that I find intriguing and I just wanted a little advice before I take the plunge.  Anvil #1 is 100 lbs, thought to be a Peter Wright or German Trenton? Asking price is $350.  The second anvil is 170 lbs, unknown make, asking price is $575.  The pictures below are Anvil #1 followed by Anvil #2.  They're an hour drive away and I've yet to see them in person.  I plan to do a bounce test with a light ball peen and check everything for cracks or dead spots.  

Barring any major issues, I'm curious which would be a better choice for general forging, as in which one would you choose?  I am a bit turned off by the gouges and dents in Anvil #2 along with the price difference between them considering the dings and such. I'm just not sure if this is enough to warrant going with the smaller anvil.  I'll probably buy a brand new striking anvil in the future, but this will be my main anvil for now.  Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?  Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Anvil1Top.jpg

Anvil1Front.jpg

Anvil2Top.jpg

Anvil2Front.jpg

The nicks in the second one are no big deal. They will present no issue, besides aesthetics. 

Theyre both in great shape, especially the first one. Which size you should purchase depends on your intended use. If you plan on making hooks, bottle openers, knives, etc. then you can use a smaller anvil than if you plan on making gates and fences (though these are both too small to makes gates on, imo.)

I mostly make knives, axes, machetes, etc. and use a 150 lb Fisher, and it is plenty enough for my needs. 

Hope this helps. Good luck with them. 

Welcome to IFI, Nathan! Thanks for putting your location in your profile settings -- that helps a lot with a lot of questions.

Looking at your two anvils, it's a bit of six-of-one, half-a-dozen-of-the-other. The smaller one has a much cleaner face and edges, but the larger one is, well, larger. Their price per pound is comparable, with the larger being just slightly more affordable. The rebound and condition may swing the needle one way or the other, but that's not something we can see in the photos.

A lot depends on other factors. Can you afford the larger anvil? Do you plan to be working on larger pieces that will require a heavier anvil? And so on.

Were I in your position, I'd be inclined towards the smaller one, for a few reasons. First, the condition of the face is excellent, and you'll not have to spend extra time on cleaning up your forgings. Second, if you make a really heavy stand and attach the anvil with some silicone caulk, you can offset at least some of the disadvantages of the lighter weight. (My own experiences with moving from a wooden stump to a welded steel stand, the saga of which can be read here, really demonstrated this to me very clearly.) Third, you'll be spending $225 less, which will then be available for tools, fuel, and steel.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary, and you may find that the ring-and-rebound tests pick a clear winner for you. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thanks for all the great input to everyone who has commented so far.  I was worried about the nicks and dings on #2, (the heavier anvil), but it's great to hear they won't be too much of an issue. However, I think I'm leaning toward #1 just to save a little cash.  I do agree that I'll have to check the ring and rebound before I can truly say which one I'll end up with.  I'll be looking at them soon and will post up what I find.  

Possibility that #1 may not be a German Trenton or a PW.....

I'd be looking around for more markings, possibly Swedish cast steel.  If so, the decision is a no-brianer to me, #1 being the far better choice.   Have any more pics?  Other side?  Closeups of the sides?  Picture of the underisde of the base?  Is there handling hole in the front foot?  

I'm set to take a look at them this afternoon. I'll probably have to make my decision at that time.  The nice fellow has agreed to meet me halfway on the drive and is bringing both anvils.  I wish I had more pictures.  @Black Frog What should I look for that would point me to identifying it as Swedish? If you don't mind me asking. I'll also use my google-fu and ask the seller if he has any more pictures.

Ok, Seller replied with the following:

23113342_1799637996733608_1774209925_n.jpg

23146394_1799637980066943_747769780_n.jpg

23113503_1799637983400276_1752630651_n.jpg

Swedish cast steel anvils usually have the name stamped into the side; "Soderfors" and "Kohlswa" are two well-known brands. Cast steel anvils usually have very loud, clear rings.

EDIT: Just saw the pictures. I agree with @Black Frog's comment below: definitely Swedish. A big plus for #1.

(I mean, it's not a Mousehole, but you can't have everything.)

THAT is a Swedish anvil.   Kohlswa brand.  

I'd test the rebound, some made in the 1980's had a softer face.  But generally Swedish steel anvils are among some of the best in the world.  Between the two you have shown, this is by far the better choice to me.

Yep, you are right. He just sent this picture along...  

23163708_1799645236732884_1614831851_n.jpg

EDIT:  It certainly seems to be unanimous.  I will rebound test this baby with my tiny ball peen and if all goes well I'll get her home this evening. I'd like to personally say thank you to both of you fine gentleman for your insight, expertise, and helpful information.  I'm assuming that $350 is a fair price for this Kohlswa?

Mr. R. Sack,

Said,

"I'm assuming that $350 is a fair price for this Kohlswa?"

SLAG. says yes.

But you might offer him a wad of $300  ( or $325), and see if he agrees.

If he gags, pull out $50.00 ( or $25.) and close the deal.

Good luck.

SLAG.

Best of luck; I tend to drop tools and truck when I find a deal as they tend to vanish quickly---why I like to be able to have cash in the bank ready for a hot deal.

Don't forget to quiet it down as much as possible when you mount it!  Cast Steel Swedish anvils sure like to sing under the hammer!

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Best of luck; I tend to drop tools and truck when I find a deal as they tend to vanish quickly---why I like to be able to have cash in the bank ready for a hot deal.

Don't forget to quiet it down as much as possible when you mount it!  Cast Steel Swedish anvils sure like to sing under the hammer!

Yep, mad money.  I always have a good stash of green available for those good deals!     Strike before anyone else gets to the hot iron.

Later I will make a post about the ancient AC Arc welder I found three weeks ago for $20:   400 pounds of copper and iron, and it works.  I got to his front door before the ink was dry in the classifieds.  Three of us barely got it into the back of my truck, it is heavy.

Already have a DC welder, a TIG welder, and another AC unit, but this one was a beautiful piece of American made history.  I  could not resist.

The final countdown. After numerous failed attempts to meet with the seller, I waited for him to get back to me. Finally hopes of meeting have been hammered out for 11 am tomorrow.

@ThomasPowers your anvil hunting exploits and reputation precede you! I've been a lurker here a while and appreciate your input and advice tremendously. 

I have a tentative plan to subdue the anvil noise once TPAAAT has been applied, but all thoughts on  the subject are appreciated!  

10 hours ago, RuckSack said:

The final countdown. After numerous failed attempts to meet with the seller, I waited for him to get back to me. Finally hopes of meeting have been hammered out for 11 am tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

Success!  Getting her cleaned up now. I dunno why but it's a "she" to me. There is a bit of a gash on the underside of the horn. I don't consider it a deal breaker. Having trouble uploading photos from my phone. Will try again this evening from my computer.