I Forge Iron

PBS Documentary on Armor making

ede

22 hours ago, Laeraor said:

Not a bad watch despite it's few inaccuracies!

Please do tell, what inaccuracies are you referring to?  

22 hours ago, Frosty said:

It wasn't bad. I'd sure like to see better science though, their "experts" weren't very. Good to see you again Ric. You aren't getting any prettier though. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

What issue did you have with their experts, inquiring minds want to know.   

I didn't say it wasn't a good watch, I was just disappointed in the science. The on screen "experts" were historians which isn't a bad thing. What they either don't know or they didn't edit the narrator for were the metallurgical details of the steel itself. The crystalline structure of plate armor is pretty well known, as is the reason for folding. 

If these details were genuinely a mystery to the on screen experts then they aren't current by years. If they actually are current then they were playing the contrived drama game. It was a good show I'd just like to see better from NOVA, I'm getting used to it though. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Contrived, Ric knows his stuff and Alan Williams wrote the book on it!  ("The Knight and the Blast Furnace, A History of the Metallurgy of Armour in the Middle Ages & the Early Modern Period"---best current work on the metallurgy of armour! 900+ pages large format (11.5"x8.5") and if you drool over micro-structure photos bring a beach towel!  I'd bet it would stop a musket bullet!)

I was disappointed with the false drama too especially as it was at the expense of putting more information into it.

(and yes I have a copy of the book)

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Alan Williams wrote the book on it!  ("The Knight and the Blast Furnace, A History of the Metallurgy of Armour in the Middle Ages & the Early Modern Period"---best current work on the metallurgy of armour! 900+ pages large format (11.5"x8.5") and if you drool over micro-structure photos bring a beach towel!  I'd bet it would stop a musket bullet!)

This book can be yours for the low price of $246.25 on Amazon!

16 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Contrived, Ric knows his stuff and Alan Williams wrote the book on it!  ("The Knight and the Blast Furnace, A History of the Metallurgy of Armour in the Middle Ages & the Early Modern Period"---best current work on the metallurgy of armour! 900+ pages large format (11.5"x8.5") and if you drool over micro-structure photos bring a beach towel!  I'd bet it would stop a musket bullet!)

I was disappointed with the false drama too especially as it was at the expense of putting more information into it.

(and yes I have a copy of the book)

ILL request submitted!

• 11 months later...

I didn't find a better spot to post this, but if it is in the wrong spot, please move it

Really enjoyed the attached Nova show.  They examine how the knight's armor was made hard enough to with stand the modern technology of fire arms.  intitially it succeded during the short period where the two technologies overlapped.  The make 30 pound blooms that they forge into plates to be made into armor.  heat treat and temper.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Hope you guys do too if  you've not already seen it. 

Thanks Thomas

It should be noted that I went back and tried to search as you suggest.  using Windows 10 the default browser is bing.  searching "secrets of the shining knight iforgeiron" does not yield a result in the first two pages.  when searching today on google it did yield it as the first result.   

• 1 year later...

This is now on Netflix (for now at least)

My daughter is home sick, wife has exams, so I stayed home with her- 

She said she's glad the "hot pieces" didn't hit Ric's beard at the power hammer- "I don't want it to burn his face!"

Much better production than the "History Ch" stuff I grew up watching in the 90's and early 2000's. 

Love learning, happy my kids do to.

Thanks for the suggestion!