I Forge Iron

Fluxing with molten borax

lyuv

Hi all,

I"m doing my first steps with forge welding, so please forgive the possibly harebrained thought.

When fluxing with borax, it needs to melt, and needs to cover all surfaces (to be welded). Sprinkling powdered borax works, but doesn't seem like an effective or efficient way.

How about this: A metal pot full of borax, placed by the forge's fire, so the borax will melt. When you want to flux, you just dip your piece in the molten borax. Super fast, and the flux penetrates everywhere.

What say thee?

Sounds interesting in theory, but borax has a melting temp of 1369°F so you'd be looking at a crucible heated to at least that temp, and I have no idea what would happen when you cool it down at the end of the session (can you reheat and reuse?). I'd also think you'd need a significant amount in the pot to melt down initially.

2 hours ago, lyuv said:

When fluxing with borax, it needs to melt, and needs to cover all surfaces (to be welded). Sprinkling powdered borax works, but doesn't seem like an effective or efficient way.

What's ineffective or inefficient about it? It always worked for me.

Thinking too deep into this stuff will cause you to complicate the simple.

George

Steve is correct, its not glue. However, you can use it in this manner to get as early of an oxygen barrier as possible short of using a canister. I did this recently as an expirement and it worked... ok-ish. I started a charcoal fire in an old rivet forge and placed the lions share of a box of 20 mule team borax in an old coated cast iron dutch oven. It took a long time to melt, ended up using a weed burner on the top to help it along. In the end I got about 2, maybe 3 cups of the liquid at the consistency of really cold syrup. It worked, but in the long run, I think sprinkling powder flux between layers probably is much more effective. 

if you  really think you need to coat everything,  dissolve the borax in water and dip in that, allow to dry and you have a fully coated thin layer of borax with out making so much mess.  Too many noobs worry about magic flux and things rather than learning how to forge weld in the first place

12 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

if you  really think you need to coat everything,  dissolve the borax in water and dip in that, allow to dry and you have a fully coated thin layer of borax with out making so much mess.

Saw a video of Ilya Alekseyev doing this on a section of cable he was welding up into a billet. Makes a lot of sense.

20 minutes ago, SLAG said:

JHCC,

Where is Ilya Alekseyev & his billet?    (& not Waldo).

Seriously, I would like to view that video. 

Can you u.r.l. the reference. I appreciate your heads up.

SLAG.

It was one of the "Man At Arms" videos on YouTube. The bit about the borax-and-water slurry starts at 2:23.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALv580sAm2Y

A saturated borax water solution is an old jewelers trick for fluxing. Works a treat on cable but needs a degreaser so  a few drops of Dawn or Citrus degreaser does the job.

Fluxing with molten borax hasn't impressed me, the thought occurred to me quite a while ago so I gave it a try. "Paterson's #2 blue" welding flux is available in welding supplies everywhere and works as well or better than most "real" forge welding fluxes, for about 25% the cost. 

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I've always wanted to sell "Dumbo's Magic Feather Flux"; but the Disney folks are MEAN when it comes to infringement!

Dumbo's Magic Infringement Flux?

You could give it away but accept generous donations to the Powers that be Defense fund.

Ooh ooh. "Dumbeau's Magic Feather Flux." With the picture of Dopey on the can! Accept no substitutes!

Frosty The Lucky.