I Forge Iron

A collection of improvised anvils

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay cool the way they were saying was go down to wally world and pick in up cut the handle in half stab it in a stump and get to hammering which I guess if it's what you can get it wold do but I feel a sledge hammer head would work better if the barbell was cast iron and probably be cheaper

I've been really considering buying one until I can get something more efficient I have been given an old rr track anvil my grandpa used as a welding anvil by my grandma but I haven't been able to go get it yet but I seen a thread on here I may try with a different piece of track I'm trying to get.

It'd work but there are better expedient anvils than a dumb bell. Still its powerful hard to not high jack and start a commentary thread about "Dumb Bell" anvils. 

What "Will" work and what works well is the difference in an emergency expedient and a temporary tool while you look for better. Anything hard and heavy will "work" but not very well or long. A sledge head is a good anvil within it's limitations where a dumb bell would "work."

It's a cool idea though and I can think of a number of things it would be good for say a ball stake.

Frosty The Lucky.

As a weight plate is flat, unless you are using the edge you will find a sledge hammer head works better than a 1- 1/2" plate. As will a solid 2" draw bar with the multi balls. As Jerry pointed out there is a difference between what will work and what will work well. But if the kettle balls Walmart cries are steel and not cast, mounting one so the flat bottom was up would work well. And flipped back up the handle would make a bick sorta. I wouldn't buy one new to find out, personally tho. 

I dont think I'll be buying a new one just to see if it works but I have been leaning more towards sledge hammer heads until I can find a bigger chunk of steel I can fashion into a special anvil me and my grandpa designed a long time ago we just never built it.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

It'd work but there are better expedient anvils than a dumb bell. Still its powerful hard to not high jack and start a commentary thread about "Dumb Bell" anvils.

If you feel it would benefit any of the new emerging smiths I'd say it's a great idea to make a commentary thread on it.

That's the first time I have seen a good use of I beam in an anvil. That is the best way to use rail, tho grinding a cut off or a hardy on the web is a good option, I prefer a cut off, others don't, I also cut a square and round bicks out of the flange end. Tho the bicks aren't mesisary they make stake turners easer to make. I have a 2" square drop of 6040 I also use to demo, as well as a 10# sledge

Thank you I thought it would add mass behind the face, so I lined it up so the rail sat right on the cross section.

I have got some plans based on threads I have read to make it into more off a swiss army anvil.

I thought of putting a fuller on the webbing, a bick and then on the other side make a small turning fork. Then because of the light weight use it as my demo anvil to show people you don't always need a London pattern anvil to get started :)

I actually read something in another thread about testing anvils you are going to buy and I feel like I know what the answer is but here's the hypothetical part in my mind. Say I go to the scrap yard looking for a piece of steel to use as an improvised anvil and let's say for aregiments sake I come across a 6"×6"×6" cube of metal but the workers don't know if it's steel or cast iron or what it is right off hand. Could the ring and rebound tests be a good indicator as to if it's a good piece for an anvil or could it be affected by what it's on or around it too much for those tests to actually work seeing as how it is in a scrap yard

Okay I didn't know if it only worked well for hardened metals or if it worked for unhardened as well but I assumed it would work that's why I picked up a 1 inch ball bearing I seen on the side of the road I planned on using it to find a good improvises anvil