I Forge Iron

A collection of improvised anvils

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, SwampFox Rocketry said:

Ill add to yours thanks charles.

Your earlier separate post has already been merged into this thread by the moderators. Just add any future photos here, and we'll be good.

1 hour ago, SwampFox Rocketry said:

Ok good thanks again forgive me, I'm new and I tried the search button to find one. Thanks for the help.

Nothing to forgive Swampy, it's not even a mistake. If when it happens you realize your post should've or maybe would've just been more effective in a different thread just select the "Report post" button on the upper right where it appears on the menu screen and ask for it to be moved. Reporting a message is just for bringing it or something in it to the attention of Admin. it's not always about something bad. You can use the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page too but it's often better to keep the note connected to the message being reported. Make sense? The Report button just comes up as a notice on All the Admin folk's screens for immediate attention and it's attached to A post.

The OS Iforge uses "up?)dates" and changes often without warning so we're always on a learning curve just to talk. Don't let little things bother you. Sure we might poke fun at you if you pull a good screw up, I LOVE straight lines but we're not mean. Well, not without strong provocation or a low blood sugar day anyway.

You're going to fit right in, relax and enjoy.

Frosty The Lucky.

“We” are all about learning here, some times you catch us over explaining as well, we aren’t talking down to you. “We” are aware that we are talking to lurkers (those who visit the sight and haven’t worked up the nerve to join in) as well as folks that may come here in the future from a search looking for information.  It gets weird sometimes thinking in present and future tense as well as being some what causes as to not knowing who may read out advice and not have the knowledge and skills to use it.  TP might give me advice much differently after seeing my growth here at his forge than he would on the open forum just for that reason.

So if you absolutely jack up your spelling, post a subject in the wrong sub forum, duplicate another pinned forum or the such and the moderators come in and edit or move your post don’t sweat it. They are trying to tidy up so that others who come along can find and comprehend what we are talking about.

As previously mentioned it's becoming more and more important to point out to people that you CAN get started smithing on the cheap! So your "improvised anvils" are an important resource.   If only the folks who bought cheap decades ago post their stuff it gives new people a skewed idea of what it takes to smith.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my collection of improvised anvils. The fork lift tine anvil is made out of 2  forks that where 8 inches wide and 2 inches thick. My inspiration was the old mideval German hornless anvils mixed with Brian Brazeal. I wanted an anvil I could use in multiple ways, and I hadn't seen one made exactly like this. It weighs somewhere between 435 -450 lbs. It's final dimensions are the face is 8 inches wide, 2 inches thick, and 26 inches long, it is 12 inches tall. The Brian Brazeal style riser/ horn is 4 inches high. It is completely reversible. Total cost was $50 for the used tines and $25 for cutting wheels, flap wheels, and welding rod. Total $75. The post anvil is 20.5 inches high and 5 inches in diameter. I was told that it was the ram off an oil drilling rig and that it was made of some Chinese super steel that I can't remember what it was, it's weight is about 120 lbs. The rail road track is 19.5 inches long and is supported by a fish plate cut in half and bolted back on to help keep the middle Web vibrations down. I got the inspiration for this one from Moose Forge, it's weight is 136 lbs. I bought the post anvil and track from a blacksmith who was moving. The cost for these two where $62. I put my 125 lb soderfors in front of them for size reference.

IMG_20180601_1755368.jpg

IMG_20180601_1755226.jpg

IMG_20180601_1809077.jpg

IMG_20180601_1801429.jpg

IMG_20180601_1808541.jpg

IMG_20180601_1809185.jpg

IMG_20180601_1811145.jpg

IMG_20180601_1820407.jpg

I use a technique that at work we call walking. I am used to moving heavy headstones but if you only lift one side and rotate it on end you can walk it to wherever you want. The problem is lifting the whole thing at once lol.

It actually is one of my many nicknames from an mma gym I used to teach at. I was teaching some fighters and I fell over dead of a heart attack. They did cpr for 20 min and shocked me 8 times with the paddles before I came back.

Not a picture, but saw this video earlier today and thought it belonged here. It seems only a small step up from a flat rock, but it's something to get started on the super-cheap. I'm still hoping to find a good size drop/off cut at a local steel supplier, but this goes to show how low we can go for a steel anvil.

Joey van der Steeg gives us all 0 excuses!

• 3 weeks later...

First project related to setting up my low-budget beginner forge - the anvil/stand. Being improvised, I figured this would be the right place to put this. The anvil was an ebay find - ~34 lb piece of forklift tine (2"x5"x12"). I made the stand out of a single 8ft board of 2"x10". I may add to the base to build up more stability, or at very least put it between a couple solid concrete blocks. I've got another board for making a jabod- so hopefully I'll be hitting hot steel next weekend. And, if I ever get a more traditional anvil, this could easily be put on it's flat side to be reborn as a striking anvil.

20180624_130131.jpg

20180624_144323.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

JHCC - it's wedged tightly between the 2x4s, but I can pry it out when I want. I had the same thought about using the handle as a sort of horn, but the first time I tried it that handle itself moved as much as the piece I was hammering (I believe it's cast iron, so it's relatively soft). But, for small things like curving the jaws of a pair of tongs, or a small hook, it works well.