I Forge Iron

Ghoul steak turner

I really like it Jenifer. Steak turners are popular sellers and a ghoul steak turner is going to really have appeal. I like the hair idea too, I envision the hanging hook textured to look: hair, like braided hair,a rope twist, noose, etc. 

I really like it, it has my idea juices flowing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

Very cool. What to bring to the cookout during the zombie apocalypse.

The Chopper knife i have in another thread.. :)  

1 hour ago, Lou L said:

I wish I saw that demo!  I guess I have to put this on the list of things to do so I can learn what you did the hard (good) way.

You going to the fall meet?    I'd be happy to help you on the journey there.. I'll be helping out at the Green coal tent, friday and saturday.. Have any questions or want help with a skill.. Hit me up and if you do it ahead of time I'll bring the needed materials.. It was fun.. Took about 30minutes the hard way..  The easy way would maybe break it down to 15 or 20minutes with the correct tooling.. 

I'd eventually like to get a Short maybe 1hr or 1.5hr how to group going..  People could request what they want to make and if it can be made in a timely fashion we could get 4 work stations going and have a learning time.. 

Yup, I'm going to the Fall meet.  I'll try one out if I get the chance (I have a backlog of projects...one possibly being a continuous sale of custom bottle openers for my favorite beer outlet).  I like the challenge of figuring out the order of steps to take for things like the shaping of that head.  It's a logic puzzle to me and it feels good to get it right.  I'll definitely be seeing you in the green coal tent.  Were you there last Fall meet?

I remember it.  I was watching for a while.  I was intrigued with the speed with which you work.  Let's just say that I have time to hum along to large refrains of the classic rock I listen to when I'm working at home.  Though, lately, I've decided to find efficiencies since I may have e the opportunity to seek a lot of the same item,

8 hours ago, Lou L said:

I remember it.  I was watching for a while.  I was intrigued with the speed with which you work.  Let's just say that I have time to hum along to large refrains of the classic rock I listen to when I'm working at home.  Though, lately, I've decided to find efficiencies since I may have e the opportunity to seek a lot of the same item,

Forge work or forge jig work?

Despite what JHCC thinks about my dancing.....I'm working on speeding up my forging at the anvil through repetition of projects. I tend to like experimenting at the anvil and either work without a plan (just a avague idea) or I go off of my plan right quick.  That's why I work slowly and methodically.  I've found that I go much faster when I know exactly what steps I'm going to make and what shapes I'm looking for right out of the gate.  On top of that, I've started working on jigs to make certain steps consistent and fast.  

Please don't take this the wrong way but I avoid jigs like the plague..   Or what I should say is While jigs can speed up production and make a consistent product, they also can mask a skill set or lack of a skill set and can hinder further skill development.   I found that the only time I use jigs is when doing many scrolls or table legs or the like where to sit and bend and wrench every bend just becomes to time consuming to make any money.. 

One of the largest compliments I can get is making a piece or10 by hand and having someone say it looks factory made because of the precision between or against each other.. 

And of course I am a big promoter of taking ones time when it comes to forging..  Speed comes with practice and as a smith gets better so does the work and speed.. 

I agree with your anti-jig argument (prepare for a Dirty Dancing reference of some sort from JHCC).  I may have to correct my terminology a little.  Perhaps most of what I'm working on is tooling.  Right now (I just stopped for a break and to look for more grinding burrs) I'm working on making a die with the logo of a liquor store so I can stamp the logos onto bottle openers for the owner.  I'll make each opener by hand and eye and the. Use the die to make the logo accurate each time.  Gotta admit though, if I do start making knives there will be jigs for grinding!

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Kuntschmeid said:

Be great to see a video of this being made so those of us in Australia that cannot get there to see it in person, xxxxxx great work love it.

Thanks,  I will keep that in mind and add it to the list of "How To" videos on the channel..  Currently working on a series on tong making..

Just now, jlpservicesinc said:

Thanks,  I will keep that in mind and add it to the list of "How To" videos on the channel..  Currently working on a series on tong making..

Awesome, hope it isnt too far into the future, I do a little silver work atm but it's totally different as you can't work it hot but I do apply some similar methods in upsetting and drawing, its far too hot here at times and much cooler in the house with the aircon on and sitting down, oh I'm a bit long in the tooth these days lol