I Forge Iron

Moose head - first try

OK, Frosty, I decided to have a try at a moose head. Now don't laugh - remember I have never seen a moose!

Seems to me from the photos, a moose has a very bulbous head, and perhaps I overdid it a bit. I forged it from the one piece of steel (as we do for bull and ram heads) but it didn't give me much to work with for the horns (antlers?). Started with 12mm square bar and they look a bit thin.  Might be better to shape the antlers separately and then add them to the head. That would allow easy forging of some ears too. Next time perhaps. I mounted it on a horse shoe to make a wall hook of sorts.

Anyway, here's the effort. Next one will be better. Suggestions welcome.

moose1.JPG

moose2.JPG

moose3.JPG

moose4.JPG

Thanks for the comments. Yes, after looking at that footage of the white moose, I need to have the antlers more horizontal. They seem almost shell-like in shape. It would also avoid the rather alarmed expression that my vertically-antlered moose has.

Mounting on a horse shoe was an afterthought. A work companion of mine said I should have forged a spoon on the 'handle' end. For eating chocolate mousse of course.

Where are you Frosty? Fertile ground for your puns here! :D

Sorry Aus, I've been sleeping most of the day away. One of the club's new members organized a hammer in camp out last weekend so of course it rained all day Saturday and cleard off while we were packing to go home Sunday. I took a smaller dome tent rather than my big honkin tent so I slept wet, warm but wet. Anyway that's where I was gone and sleeping.

That's a pretty good moose representation Aus. Not bad at all for a guy living on the other side of the planet. They have a flat topline from their antlers to their noses which are comically floppy round manipulators. You have the rack positioned pretty well but they lay flatter to the side and cup forward. 

The guy to get to put up a WIP post is Metalmangler he does more moose head finials than anybody else I know.

In short he sets a shoulder, draws, widens and splits the rack, refines the points, buds and palm. He then folds the bar back on itself with the shoulder and rack OUT. The bend of the fold makes the Moose snout and head he turns the rack out to the sides. Chases in the eyes, brow tines, nostrils and some finishing touches. Mark knocks them out out in a few minutes.

I should shoot a series when he's demoing at the fair this year eh? 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:42 PM, Frosty said:

The guy to get to put up a WIP post is Metalmangler he does more moose head finials than anybody else I know.

In short he sets a shoulder, draws, widens and splits the rack, refines the points, buds and palm. He then folds the bar back on itself with the shoulder and rack OUT. The bend of the fold makes the Moose snout and head he turns the rack out to the sides. Chases in the eyes, brow tines, nostrils and some finishing touches. Mark knocks them out out in a few minutes.

I should shoot a series when he's demoing at the fair this year eh? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, that would be good, Frosty.

I have been thinking of ways to make the moose better and today I had a lightbulb moment and an idea has come to mind. I'll give it a go after tomorrow's demo and post a pic (if successful!).  

I missed Mark at the fair this year and it's max traffic weekend I'll have to catch him another time.  The pic below is a young cow out Teenylittlemetaguy's living room window, he lives in the city Anchorage. 

A Kangaroo, wombat or platypus?

Frosty The Lucky.

59a9f2c5094b8_MtnViewMoose..jpg.972d62b58cd11648b52d315392ba3f7b.jpg

OK, so here is Moose Mark 2.

This version is better but still not quite there. My aforementioned bright idea was to use a big old open-end spanner (wrench) split down to the shaft. The idea was to use the meaty part of the spanner to provide enough mass to widen out the antlers.

So I found a big spanner in the scrap and did this:

59aa931f3ea9e_mooseagain1.thumb.JPG.bcc0d666189a7293e8235c94a733d99e.JPG

Next step was to get it hot and widen the halves for the antlers. Managed to find a bit of mass for the ears. Pretty hard steel and needed a bit of persuasion:

59aa93d46293e_mooseagain2.thumb.JPG.b4e0e061503b8f3f8bc4668988dd015d.JPG

Make a few cuts to form the prongs and knobs. I looked at a lot of moose pics and no two were the same. Seems the horns are not necessarily symmetrical either, but I tried to get them close.

59aa95071641e_mooseagain3.thumb.JPG.227df2c2f03833b6ffa59493e401030b.JPG

Now, got the shaft of the spanner real hot and made the tight bend for the head. Forged as for a normal bull's head, but the spanner thickness was a bit too meagre to provide the more bulbous nose that a moose has. Twisted the ears out a little, but I think they may be a bit out of proportion.

Anyway, the second try is an improvement on the first. I'm not sure what I'll do with him. Punch some holes to make a large wall hook, keeping the other end of the wrench for the hook(s) perhaps. Suggestions welcome.

moose agin 5.JPG

Thanks Das. I think the wrench idea will work, but I'll find one with a thicker shaft if I try another one.

Slag, I did look at Wikipedia (and Google images) so I had a lot of references. That big curved nose was a bit difficult after I had forged the flats for the eyes. There just wasn't enough metal there. What I should have done was to bend the head fold longer and then upset it back. Ah! Wise in hindsight!

Aus,

That wiki article has some  pictures that show the nostrils situated (flared) to each side of the snout, at the end (distal end), of the nose. Also, some pictures display the drooping bulbous shape of the nose which is characteristic of, especially, bull meeses.  Perhaps you could form the nose to the shape you desire and then start the nostril with a very fine drill and punch it. That might obviate the need to make that region flat before punching.

Their prominent dewlap is also a distinguishing feature. But that detail is not very evident and probably not worth the extra effort.

I am not trying to come across as pedantic and picky. My motive is purely constructive suggestions.

Honest.

Many people consider moose to be ugly. I do not agree. My impression of the beasts is, powerful, majestic, and wild.

Regards form the central U.S.A.

SLAG.

• 2 weeks later...

If ya let the metal get to a black heat and use a brass brush on it it imparts the gold/brass color on the metal. Too hot or too cold and it doesn't work quite right. a little practice and you will get it. I usually get the piece to a red heat once I'm done and give it a good wire brushing then wait till a little after black heat and start with the brass brush till it feels right and starts to take the brass well. You want a pure brass brush and not just a brass coated steel wire brush. I prefer ones with wood handles as the plastic handled ones tend to melt and loose the bristles at the heat it takes.

Yeah, everything Das said.

You have to be careful buying brass brushes. Some of them look like brass but they are brass coated steel - no good. Take a magnet with you! The best ones I have found are snowboard brushes. They have very fine bristles and you get them from ski supply shops. Unfortunately we don't have many snowboard shops here and I have got the last couple from the U.S. The trouble is they cost more to freight than to buy.

Luckily, my son is over in Whistler B.C. Canada riding mountain bikes and he has managed to pick a couple up for me from the ski shop there. Yay! Freight free!

Slag and gmb...   Thanks for advice. Photo has been saved.