I Forge Iron

Scuba tank uses?

I've just got a line on some decommissioned scuba tanks. A coworker's husband runs a dive shop and has both aluminum and steel tanks that have failed hydrostatic testing. They're about 7" in diameter and about 25" long, and he's willing to pass them along in exchange for what he'd usually get for scrap value: about $30 each for aluminum and $15 for the steel.

I'm trying to make up my mind if this is worth it (the smithing budget is a bit tight at the moment), so I'm hoping folks could chime in with suggestions on possible uses. So far, I've come up with:

Quench tank
Wind chimes
Dishing form (using the bottom)

Anything else?

Price seems high to me,  if your on a budget id probably pass for now.

You Can most likely buy some down the road if you can come up with a idea for them that will save you time or make you money!   Best of luck :) jmo

Btw the dishing form is a awesome idea!! Thank you!!!

My scrap yard charges me 20 cents a pound for steel  and they buy steel at a much lower rate.  So  US$15 would be a 75 pound tank....

Find out what he is getting for scrap rate and meet it.

Note many scuba tanks do not have a suitable base to use for dishing forms.

Like Scotty said, they make great bells.  Cut one in two, flare the cut edge, insert the clapper through the hole for the valve.  My wife hates it when I whistle to get her attention when she is in the barn or out in the pasture.  Now she can get upset when I ring the bell.  If I am out in the show she rings the "dinner bell".

Wayne

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

My scrap yard charges me 20 cents a pound for steel  and they buy steel at a much lower rate.  So  US$15 would be a 75 pound tank....

Wow last time I bought steel the yard here charged me .65 cents a pound!

That was for the rusty cut offs. Like the 4"x4" tube I am using for my 2x72 grinder base.

Mel

Mine's from the big pile and may include free distressing and mangling.  It's also a small yard that has to ship all their steel 3+ hours by truck to sell it on to a bigger yard.It's possible  they are giving me the price they sell at down by the foundry...(and save the cost of shipping and handling on it...)  They used to want to price individual items till I'd just toss them back on the pile with a smile and walk off without buying anything. (It's possible that the sales to me are what stocks the drinks fridge...)

It might seem expensive, but figure that you can get five ring forms from one tank.  Weld on a stem and sell those forms to beginners to use.  Boom, one tank pays dividends.

Cut one in half and you have two bells that you can sell for really good money.  Even small bells are worth over a c-note if you do a nice base/hanger for them.

Cut in half lengthwise, you can use the inside radius to catch the clanger on the wind chime.  Different, doesn't look like a cut up tank, and has a nice sound.... that's a money maker.

I'd love to have a reliable source for small tanks like that.  Knowing you can run down to his store and get two or three tanks in reasonable condition means you can make tank gongs and such as a regular item in your repertoire.

Agree on the high price, scrap is not what it was 3 years ago after China stopped its buying spree. It dropped to one half cent a pound at one point. 

Lots of uses as stated above with gongs as the main one for selling. We had some for shooting at long ranges.