I Forge Iron

Welding flash clean up

No problem. Sometimes we just need some help thinking of what we already know :) I know I do on occasion. 

Please post some pictures when your done. We love pictures :D 

If it's a small sculpture maybe a dip in vinegar or diluted muriatic acid then neutralized in baking soda and water. I haven't tried that for That purpose but use it to remove galvanizing before welding parts.  You would want to dry it quickly and coat it immediately with oil or whatever your final finish would be. 

But sand blasting seems the safest bet for just a spot. 

Welcome aboard Joey, glad to have you.

Nice piece Joey, well done. More folk will know what you mean if you refer to the residue as slag rather than flash. On the other hand, not knowing where on Earth you live "flash" might be THE term. 

That's my subtle way of suggesting you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance. 

Don't let Smoggy fool you he's a punster. I'm sure you spotted the one he tried to pinch in on us. Yes? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you. Around here, slag is what forms over the weld and has to be chipped off. I was referring to the white powdery coating that often surrounds a weld and is still there once the slag is chipped away. It can be brushed off, but it's hard to get to sometimes.

4 hours ago, Dave51B said:

Well shucks, I can't think of any puns............               Dave

Well, if you come up with any, don't keep them to yourself -- that would be shellfish.

6 hours ago, Joeyrocco said:

Thank you. Around here, slag is what forms over the weld and has to be chipped off. I was referring to the white powdery coating that often surrounds a weld and is still there once the slag is chipped away. It can be brushed off, but it's hard to get to sometimes.

When I think "flash", I think of the excess metal left over from the casting or stamping process, that's extruded between dies or mold halves. I know what you mean about that powdery coating, but (other than "flux residue") I can't think I've heard any specific term for it.

As for removing it, you might consider a tumbler with some sand or other abrasive that could reach into the finer crevices.

Gotcha, makes sense I'd just never heard the term used that way and being an international forum we hear lots of terms used in lots of ways. Like John says "flash" is most commonly used for the excess material extruded or . . . "seeped"(?) between forge dies or casting molds.

For places you can't reach with a brush, sand or bead blasting is a good choice. A pressure washer might do it and that'd be a good excuse to wash your car. I don't know of a chemical cleaner but it's worth asking next time I'm at my local welding supply, I never know when I might need the trick.

Frosty The Lucky.