I Forge Iron

Help with price and identification

Happy Friday everyone! I currently have a 88 pound anvil but was thinking of getting a larger one. I have found an auction that currently has this one listed. It doesn't say the brand or weight so I was hoping to find some guidance from you folks. I know that it is 33.25 " L and 4.75" W. It looks do be in decent shape. Right now the current bid is at $275 USD. It's about over an hour drive from my house and an online auction.

What do you guys think it worth/weight/brand? Or should I save my loot for a propane forge (currently using peanut coal)

Thanks

Marc

Anvil.png

lengthAnvil.png

widthAnvil.png

At most internet Auction sites the current price doesn't mean squat as most of the bidding takes place in the last few seconds often with automated bidding tools.  The ones to look out for are the ones marked Local Pickup Only as that cuts most people out.  If it's in your neck of the wood you can luck out.

I was thinking it would be a good deal if it stuck around that price but 8 days are left. I can go view the item next Saturday then the bidding ends that night. I can't really ask any questions because it's an auction service that pretty much comes into your home/business and list all the items online. Then they have a preview the last night to bid.

I will have to check on the rebound. I know how online bidding goes but any idea what you think would be a good cut off price? I'm sure this isn't the last one I will see as I live around Amish and they are always selling Anvils at benefit auctions. But I thought if I could get it for around 4-500 it would be a good buy. 

Looks to be possibly either Trenton or A&H anvil from the profile.  Without a height measurement, estimating weight is difficult as Trenton by far had the widest range of weights for similar lengths and face widths.   A rough guess would be the 250# ballpark, but without more info it is just a rough guess going off other anvils of that length and face.

If you go look at it, please post a picture of the logo stamp on the side of the anvil with horn facing right, and also another picture of the serial number on the front foot under the horn.  Trenton usually had the weight stamp on the foot opposite the serial number, A&H usually had the weight stamp on the side under the logo stamp.

Well if you are near where I live now I'd expect to pay 50% more than where I used to live and they are both in the USA. Where you live I haven't a clue.  As we don't know the weight we usually will give a $ per #  suggestion.

I think most folks in the USA would be happy to pay US$3 per pound for it.  It would be nice if you could weigh it on a bathroom scale WITHOUT THE STUMP!

Thanks guys I currently have a William foster 1830 carriage anvil but would like to have more working area and it's close to home. I just have to weigh my options this anvil or a diamond propane forge. I got a week to think about it. Thanks for the info

I been using hard coal anthracite but can't keep it consistent. Goes out after time because I just put together a make shift forge. Pretty much a stainless steel sink that holds the coal with a hair dryer and I been using a propane torch combo. My pap just gave me a propane grill so I been thinking how to use that for coal or propane. Odd question but can I use both in the grill or no? I thought that it wouldn't get hot enough with just the propane. Maybe use fire bricks too. Any opinions or someone point me in the right direction? It's a cast iron grill too. Just a lot of info on the web and would rather get someone else's opinion who has been there.

Very true about anvils vs forges. If I can make my own that would be great. I have no preference on coal or propane probably because I'm just starting out.

thanks

Solid fuel and propane are completely different animals. Don't even think about a forge that could burn either or both.

Go look up the threads on building a 55 or JABOD (just a box of dirt) forge. Not expensive or high-tech at all, and you already have the hairdryer.

Generally most propane grills have nothing to do with propane forges as the burners and regulators are TOTALLY DIFFERENT and can't be cross used. A propane grill can be modified to use as a solid fuel forge, which generally includes filling it with clay, dirt, firebricks or a mix of them.

As mentioned anthracite is much harder to forge with and so more difficult to learn on.  If you can't get bituminous coal I would work with lump charcoal which does profit from tweaking the forge design to work better with charcoal.

You might search on "Tim Lively Wash Tub Forge" for ideas on how to modify a BBW grill into a forge.