I Forge Iron

Sawmaker's hammer

Sam Salvati

Finished forging this guy today, from 1045. I still have to heat treat it, and that is only a temporary handle(I am working on handles, how they should feel, balance, fit the hammer head). Comments and critique welcome, I tried contouring the handle, and I like how it works out and fits into my hand, what are your opinions on that shape(hourglass)? it is stamped with my maker's mark, and 08 for the date.

5459.attach

5460.attach

5461.attach

5462.attach

5463.attach

Really nice job on the hammer.

I don't think I'd like the handle though, I tend to let my grip adjust to what I'm doing; out near the end if I need the power or choked up for fine work. That's why the handles I make are straight tapers with a bit of a knob at the end.

Of course, that's just me.

Frosty

Heat, beat:).

But seriously, I am not sure if the sawmakers used it different than any other hammer, they are very similar to the Japanese swordsmith's hammers, both used for forging all different shapes, I think Thomas Powers or someone else would know more though about sawmaker's and how they worked with they're odd hammers:D.

Hey Sam,
Nice looking hammer head.

As far as what it does? (and someone correct me if I am wrong on this). The sawyer would use the hammer on a COLD circular saw blade. With the correct knowledge and skill, he'd use the hammer to stretch the steel to put a certain amount of tension into the blade, this helped the blade spin "true," in other words it took the wobble out of the blade as the mill was running. There's as much of an art to it as there is to blacksmithing.

My grandpa and great-uncle made a living doing many things, one of which was running sawmills. We still have the remnant of the tracks from one of the old mills, and a very much workable setworks (all the gears that run the blade and the feed). We also have the tracks and carriage off of a newer mill that we will HOPEFULLY be able to eventually set in line with the old setworks and have an operating mill again. Our solution for taking the wobble out of the blade? Speed the engine up or slow it down until the blade runs true:) I know, it's kinda cheating, but like I said, there's an art to tuning a blade and having a blade tuned by a professional isn't cheap, when a professional can be found.

-Aaron @ the SCF

It is also called a dog face hammer, and yes a sawmaker would use it to set the tension in a blade, it is so shaped so every blow will be square. I think 1.5 would be a little light for saw work though. I am in trainning to hammer saw blades, and have hammered my own with great success.
Jeff

Circle saw blades are tuned by cupping them slightly. If they're perfectly flat they wobble but a few thousandths of an inch of cup and they're pretty rigid without losing the flex necessary to prevent breakage.

The trick is getting the blade cupped evenly all the way around. As you can imagine if it's uneven at all it'll have a shrieking hissy fit when you try to run it.

And yeah, thumb on top of the handle transmits the shock straight up your arm and will cause serious joint damage sooner than later.

Frosty

This type of hammer is in vouge with blademakers who are enamoured by it's use by the japanese smiths. They get a funny look when you tell them it's been used in the west for centuries---also in blademaking. The Sheffield knifemaker's traditional steady hammer has this shape as does the saw tuner---who also uses an anvil shaped just like the japanese one---but not derrived from it.

How it's used---you hammer with it! It's supposed to be better controlled for precise edge bevelling; but the japanes also use sledges of this type of heavy drawing and welding of billets.

He's pulling my leg a bit as last time one of these hammers was posted as a japanese hammer I ranted a bit on how it was used just as much in the west as well...

Notice the thumb position of the young man wielding the hammer ;)

His thumb is resting along the side of the handle near the top, not on top.

Also, you can not use posed pictures as examples of how something is done, then or now.

Frosty

Maybe also notice that he is a YOUNG man, not one that has been doing that for 30 years. Sam I am glad to hear that you are taking care of yourself.
The other side of this coin is that I started putting my thumb on top of my hammer after observing Bob Marshal useing his hammer that way, last I knew he was still doing it. I do beleive that it can and often does cause dammage so I stopped.

• 1 year later...