I Forge Iron

Whatsit?

Wroughton

Someone drug this by the shop the other day to ask if they could use it as a forge. I'm guessing some kind of annealing or tempering furnace. Or, is it a farrier forge for horseshoes? Looks like it runs on acetylene and Ox. I did a little searching but couldn't find anything. 

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

I used the googles for "INSTA FORGE". Nada.

I'll look on anvil fire.

Well, same principle but that guy came up with his from scratch. My kind of armor is 1/2" plus thick but I think i just found my new bowl forge. :D

I'm guessing now it's a farrier forge for horseshoes after seeing the action shots of the other one operating.

Wroughton,

The forge has the phrase "patent pending". Go the Patent Office and pull down their list of assignees. Then search for Instaforge.

The Google patent site may be easier to work with.

Happy hunting,

SLAG.

Check out this 1978 article from Farm Show magazine showing a very similar unit with the same name--as well as a use description.  Not an exact match but I would think close enough to identify the intention of the one you have.

Article mentions dual gas hose and no electric implying oxy-acetylene or oxy-propane which jibes with their claims of "5000 degrees"

https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=5002

2rwqmq1.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 2:36 PM, Kozzy said:

Check out this 1978 article from Farm Show magazine showing a very similar unit with the same name--as well as a use description.  Not an exact match but I would think close enough to identify the intention of the one you have.

Article mentions dual gas hose and no electric implying oxy-acetylene or oxy-propane which jibes with their claims of "5000 degrees"

https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=5002

2rwqmq1.png

Man! Did you just pull out Farm Show on me?! :lol:

The most common reading material found in the shop's commode "library". 

Thanks Kozzy, the thread kinda went to the "birds" there for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

The ad lists it as reaching 5000 F; how enchanting! A propane flame burning in pure oxygen is only rated at 4900 F, but some genius has found a way to build a propane forge rated at 5000 F with mere air (20% oxygen)! What a brain; he must be smarter than Einstein, right? It's no mystery why this forge isn't on the market; obviously it was another nefarious plot of big oil; yup yes sir; they can't full us, though; we're wise to them!

Aw Mikey you should talk to marketing guys at the coffee shop sometime. Just because something is "rated" to 5,000f. In WHAT way is it so rated? To generate 5,000f? Withstand 5,000f? Make your head spin 5,000 degrees? The rating was undoubtedly certified by clinical study. 

Marketing BS. A sales guy writing ad copy probably saw somewhere a propane cutting torch flame was 5,000f and puffed it into the ad. Marketing guys reading ads is a positive feedback loop, BS based on and exaggerated from BS. 

Heck if it would get 5,000f hot what would anybody do with it, forge tungsten or platinum horse shoes? I believe steel vaporizes cooler than that, boils anyway.

Marketing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

My favorite was the old pocket model oxy-butane torch with the two miniature gas cylinders that they rated at 5000 F. The "oxidizer" in one of the cylinders broke down under the flame's heat, producing 30% oxygen content for the butane to burn on; one third more than air. A butane flame would require 100% oxygen in the other cylinder to maybe get that hot.

What was the oxidizer? Nitrous oxide.