I Forge Iron

Cyclone Debbie

ausfire

Spare a thought if you will for the people on the coast of North Queensland as this monster approaches. The islands are already receiving a battering and Debbie is predicted to cross the coast at Bowen in a couple of hours time. This is not going to be fun.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Yes, Turbo is well to the north. We are fine here but those in the eye of this and on the southern side are in big trouble. This is a slow-moving system and is giving Bowen and Proserpine a sustained battering. Infrastructure can be rebuilt, but we can't replace lives.

Marg & I have added all of you to our list of prayers and intentions.

Two days ago they were predicting that Townsville and environs would get hit. Debbie seems to have cut further south.

In any event, hang in there and hang tough.

Were on your side.

SLAG.

Aus. Where are you and Turbo located in Queensland?

Bloke I am familiar with on one of the fishing sites here lives right where it crossed the coast. He has been running a blog for the last day or so updating as things happened.

Pretty terrifying reading. The mongrel thing hit, then just sat there for nearly 12 hours while they copped wind up to 280kph. Both his neighbours house roofs are gone, but he is ok so far, the eye has passed and he is now getting the wind from the other side. Not as bad, just under 200kph -  but there is no protection from that side, it is just coming straight in over the bay so it is doing even more damage.

Says his house is built to take it, but Bowen, small town about 30k to the north has a lot of older houses and is low lying, he thinks it could be pretty bad there. Rain is due here in 72 hours if their predictions are right, better go and clean out the gutters, predicting up to 500mm if we get it solid.

He got down to his business while the eye was passing over, pretty damaged. Reckons most of the comercial boat fleet in the harbour is gone (big fishing / tourism industry), going to really impact the local economy.

Word is the two biggest row boats in the Australian navy are out of action, engine failure on both due to some new electronic management system, all the politicians pointing the finger at each other as usual.

So they have dug the remaining row boat with helicopter capabilities out of storage and sent it north 2 days ago, hopefully it wont take to long to get there.

2 hours ago, SLAG said:

Marg & I have added all of you to our list of prayers and intentions.

Two days ago they were predicting that Townsville and environs would get hit. Debbie seems to have cut further south.

In any event, hang in there and hang tough.

Were on your side.

SLAG.

Aus. Where are you and Turbo located in Queensland?

Turbo's up in Cooktown and I'm on the Atherton Tableland up from Cairns.

12 hours ago, Jackdawg said:

Bloke I am familiar with on one of the fishing sites here lives right where it crossed the coast. He has been running a blog for the last day or so updating as things happened.

Pretty terrifying reading. The mongrel thing hit, then just sat there for nearly 12 hours while they copped wind up to 280kph. Both his neighbours house roofs are gone, but he is ok so far, the eye has passed and he is now getting the wind from the other side. Not as bad, just under 200kph -  but there is no protection from that side, it is just coming straight in over the bay so it is doing even more damage.

Says his house is built to take it, but Bowen, small town about 30k to the north has a lot of older houses and is low lying, he thinks it could be pretty bad there. Rain is due here in 72 hours if their predictions are right, better go and clean out the gutters, predicting up to 500mm if we get it solid.

He got down to his business while the eye was passing over, pretty damaged. Reckons most of the comercial boat fleet in the harbour is gone (big fishing / tourism industry), going to really impact the local economy.

Yes, all of the above.

7 am. Wednesday here now and daylight today has revealed just how vast the devastation is. The good thing is that as far as I have heard so far, no lives lost.

Jackdawg, you are near Ipswich if I recall correctly, and you are set to receive the tail end of this cyclone now that it is a rain depression. I doubt you will get the torrential rain (Mackay hinterland had 850 mm in the two days) but definitely heavy.

We have been safe here in the far north. My son lives in Townsville and they were right in line until the cyclone moved south. We have had our share up here with Larry and Yasi so at least we were spared this time.

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:21 AM, ausfire said:

Jackdawg, you are near Ipswich if I recall correctly, and you are set to receive the tail end of this cyclone now that it is a rain depression. I doubt you will get the torrential rain (Mackay hinterland had 850 mm in the two days) but definitely heavy.

I was wrong, Jackdawg. You guys got a lot more than 'heavy'.  Over a metre of rain in some plaes. I hear on the news this morning that lives have been lost in the floodwaters down there. Lismore looks like an absolute disaster. Hope you are safe where you are, as you clean up after this.

Cheers Ausfire, we are ok. I'm north of Brisbane, we got about 250mm only. A few trees down, nothing important. 

Mates in Qmac living on south side copped it. One  got power back this morning, others will be monday at earliest. Some still flooded in, yeah a few in New South Wales died by the look of it.

And now Rocky is waiting. Biggest flood since 1954 to hit there come Wednesday. Trying time for them while they wait for the Fitzroy River to come down. Cyclone Debbie has left her mark.

I was in Rocky in the 80's when we got flooded in. No nice big elevated road in like there is now. 2 weeks cut off. Fuel rationing, milk being helicoptered in for babies and infants, not a tin left on the shelf in the local supermarket. Pretty much ate rice and soy sauce for a week!

11 hours ago, SLAG said:

I assume that Rocky is Rockhampton, New South Wales,  and not Rocky Western Australia.

I hope that things get back to a semblance of normal and things dry out soon.

SLAG.

SLAG: Yeah, but Rockhampton is in Queensland. The Tropic of Capricorn passes through the town.

Jackdaw: I think the folks in Rocky are used to being cut off with floodwater. We had a rough time of it with Yasi. No power for a couple of weeks. The joys of having a hand blower on the forge!

On ‎4‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:14 AM, JHCC said:

If I may be permitted a moment of levity, am I the only one who saw "Cyclone Debbie" and immediately thought of Frosty's wife?

Ha Ha. Everyone named Debbie here has had a bit of joking about the cyclone. Thing is, it's quite a common name. Nobody knew anyone called Yasi.

There was a huge amount of damamge in Northern New South Wales as well. When what was left of the cyclone turned inland, it passed over Brisbane and in to northern new south wales. Brisbane got a good amount of rain, mostly 10 to 12 inches - In the Gold coast / northern NSW zone, (50 - 100k south of Brisbane) some areas got 3 foot of rain overnight. Biggest floods in over 50 years. Bloke at work is a volunteer firefighter down in the bad zone, he spent a week helping hose out businesses etc. He says locals say it is the worst they have ever seen it.

Starting to hear some stories about grub insurance companies refusing to pay out on claims, always happy to know you come premium collection time, otherwise dont want to know about you.

Yeah, and I think the worst grubs are those low-life mongrels who take advantage of flood-affected businesses and homes by looting. That would have to be the lowest of the low. I see they had extra coppers on duty in Rocky to deter looters. That is really sad when 99% of people roll up their sleeves and get out and help their mates .. and people they don't even know.