I Forge Iron

M&H Armitage Mouse Hole Anvil repair

ok so from the title i have M&H Armitage Mouse Hole Anvil and i would to repair and fix it up.

i just have some questions on fixing it up.

since it was made around 1820 and 1835 would it have a harden steel plate on it?

would welding on it ruin the temper, and harden face if it has one?

what would be your recommended rod to use for welding?

some other questions later on.

i will not be working on this until i know what i need, what i need to do, and how to do it without ruining it.

0326171842.jpg

0326171842b.jpg

0326171842c.jpg

0326171842d.jpg

0326171937.jpg

0326171937a.jpg

0326171937b.jpg

The correct procedure for repairing anvils has been well discussed on this site.

Simply put, proper repair involves FAR more than most people are capable of doing. Even experienced welders. Do a search on this forum for the Gunter Method.

Thinking you can do MOST of the steps and that is good enough will lead to unsatisfactory results such as ruined temper, reduced usability, and reduced value.

I've been saying NO, don't damage that old lady anymore by trying to "fix it" for I don't know how long, Before I subbed to Iforge, probably before Iforge was established. You ask IF a AMH anvil has a hardened steel face and think you have a chance of doing ANYTHING but damaging it?

How long have you been welding? How long have you been welding specialty steels? How good are your heat treat skills and equipment? Do you have a positive answer to ANY of those very basic questions? What do you think your chances are?

We're not dissing you or taking shots but your very questions tell those among us who know how and have successfully repaired anvils that NEEDED it you don't have the knowledge let alone skills do do anything but damage. Honest, we just don't want to see the anvil ruined and you discouraged from the craft.

That old lady has miles on her, someone has done too heavy work on the edge but only ONE. The bit of swale on the face is NOT something that needs or SHOULD be altered. There is plenty of edge on the damaged side to do edge work and the other side is undamaged. 

Just put it to work, learn the craft and after a couple years, a couple classes maybe and you'll know and understand how unimportant that little bit of damage is to her true utility. Honest she's just fine, some scars but just fine.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning, Tyler

Where are you making a shadow? Add it to your Avatar. There are knowledgeable people many places. Are you close to someone you can personally ask? Frosty is correct, it may have a chipped tooth, enjoy it's personable smile. The swale in the top face is better at straightening something bent, than working on a flat surface.

Enjoy the lady you have. Treat her well and she will return the favour in spades.

Neil

Tyler; too bad you don't live in the United States of America as a number of the ABANA Affiliates here have offered Anvil Repair Days. (I've been to ones in Ohio and New Mexico for example).  At them you can get repair work done using the proper tools, alloys, preheat/postheat, etc.  I don't know if such things are offered in any of the 149 other countries that participate here so I can't speak to their availability.  As you can see knowing the general location of a person makes a big difference in answers...Why we suggest people edit their profile to include it as so many questions have a location component.

If you are in Northern Mexico near Juarez; let me know as I know a great anvil repair guy just across the border in Las Cruces New Mexico! (And I cross the border to work and so we could arrange transportation for it...)

That anvil is something like 200 years old. Still a lot of life left in it. If you are willing to learn how to use the anvil and its blemishes, it will do a lot of work, and pay for a brand new anvil if you insist on replacing it.

Use it for a year and then decide if you need another anvil. 

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Tyler; too bad you don't live in the United States of America as a number of the ABANA Affiliates here have offered Anvil Repair Days. (I've been to ones in Ohio and New Mexico for example).  At them you can get repair work done using the proper tools, alloys, preheat/postheat, etc.  I don't know if such things are offered in any of the 149 other countries that participate here so I can't speak to their availability.  As you can see knowing the general location of a person makes a big difference in answers...Why we suggest people edit their profile to include it as so many questions have a location component.

If you are in Northern Mexico near Juarez; let me know as I know a great anvil repair guy just across the border in Las Cruces New Mexico! (And I cross the border to work and so we could arrange transportation for it...)

Thomas, I am in santa teresa occasionally and have a mousehole that the face is worn paper thin and cracked full width in one place (the thinnest).  I would be interested in the information about the repairman.  I live in mo.  I have a son working in cruces.  I think you visited with my other son occasionally at the santa teresa checkpoint.