Camerican

New coal forge build in progress

39 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Camerican said:

I have been tossing around ideas for holding down the anvil. I am thinking just some flat bar with a couple holes punched and lag bolts. Pics don't show it but I have magnets on the front side of the anvil which deaden the ring quite well. Those buckworth anvils ring like a bell. It really is a nice sound but probably not good for the ears all day. This was just an impulse day. Couldn't well fire up the forge without hitting any hot metal. Thanks for all of the positive feedback gents! 

I'm a strong convert to attaching anvils to stands with a layer of silicone caulk. Strong, and deadens the sound nicely. 

23 minutes ago, JHCC said:

I'm a strong convert to attaching anvils to stands with a layer of silicone caulk. Strong, and deadens the sound nicely. 

Do you also bolt it down? Or is the Silicon caulk enough to hold it by itself?? And do you just put it on the bottom? Or run a bead all around the outside as well? It is an interesting idea indeed. 

Some kind of hold down for the anvil is more for keeping it stable, and some for sound.  If you do much sideways hammering on the horn, you will quickly learn why it's a good idea to hold that sucker in place (unless it's 300-400 pound behemoth, which ain't goin' nowhere!!).

Your flat bar and lag bolts should work just fine.

48 minutes ago, Camerican said:

Do you also bolt it down?

No. 

49 minutes ago, Camerican said:

Or is the Silicon caulk enough to hold it by itself?? 

Yes. 

50 minutes ago, Camerican said:

And do you just put it on the bottom?

Yes. 

51 minutes ago, Camerican said:

Or run a bead all around the outside as well?

No. 

Thanks for that last pic......now I understand why you built it backwards.:P            Life is Good             Dave

I don't consider it backwards---just set up for a right hander  Dominant hand on the blower crank, other hand on the tongs/work piece. When you go to the anvil the right hand is free to grab the hammer and the left hand is already in place on the tongs/workpiece.  No switching around needed!

see and here i thought you'd want your lesser hand on the blower. that way you ended up with balanced arms instead of one giant and other puny :D 

Thomas, are you saying he built it backwards for himself? Seems to me if you crank the blower with your left hand you would have your back to the fire. Doesn't make sense to me ......but hey... I'm abit odd anyway. It's all good.                   Dave 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, PapaDooks said:

see and here i thought you'd want your lesser hand on the blower. that way you ended up with balanced arms instead of one giant and other puny :D 

That was my thinking as well. The blower isn't attached. The bracket can be moved to the other side, but I was concerned with the lopsidedness as most of the work would be on the left side. The more you know...

Edited by Camerican
Typo

Yes backwards for a left hander: your non dominant hand may be doing more work with the tongs and workpiece than the dominant hand with the blower---so I don't understand PapaD; unless you forge with the off hand not doing anything which is just weird!

As for doing it the "other way" may I suggest that for the next year you get into your car on the passenger side first and then get out and walk around to the drivers side *every* *time* to see what having to switch around to accomplish anything is like.  (The annoyance factor builds up fast; I've had to switch hands before when I was sited at Demos with no concern to which way the forge should be set up for *me*.)

Under a spreading chestnut tree 

The village smithy stands; 

The smith, a mighty man is he, 

With large and sinewy hands; 

And the muscles of his brawny arms

Are asymmetrical bands. 

8 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Under a spreading chestnut tree 

The village smithy stands; 

The smith, a mighty man is he, 

With large and sinewy hands; 

And the muscles of his brawny arms

Are asymmetrical bands

Point taken! Looks like I'll be moving the blower to the other side! Always glad to have you curmudgeons around. Your small notes and observations are worth their weight in gold. 

i think the last word of Tom Powers post is the most important one. that's for him. i'm guessing everyone else's mileage may vary.

oh and i watch my wife constantly go to the wrong side of the car. 30 years in australia and she still defaults to getting into a canadian car at times 

Great looking build. I hope to be building one soon.