I Forge Iron

Attention all I.F.I. Tech & \Metallurgy fans

SLAG

STOP the presses !!!

This just in.

Reported  about 2 hours ago.

The boffins, laterally, at New York university and now at Vader industries, have announced that they have reduced three dimensional metal printing "to practice"

The potential of this technology is mind bending. (Well it bent MY mind).

I kid you not!  (I could not make this up).

Read the thrilling details at

https://techxplore.com/news/2017-01-liquid-metal-d-revolutionize.html

As always, your ever alert I. F. I. technology and metallurgy sub group reporter.

SLAG.

And here I have been reading about the conversion to using Bessemer Steel in the 1860's; (one of the tests was in a rail yard where steel rails were put in use along a wrought iron rail rail.  It mentioned that after a specific amount to time they steel rails were doing great and they had replaced the wrought iron rails 7 times!  I'll try to open a thread on this here over the weekend)

Greetings,

& a warm welcome to the I. F. I. technology and metallurgy enthusiasts group, recent member additions;

Glenn, Anachronist58, Marc 1, CMS3900, RobbieG, Frosty and all the others that I have missed.

Attention: all who wish to become a member of this exalted Sub Group. Post a response to a sub-group topic and you are in.

SLAG.

17 minutes ago, Marc1 said:

Melting aluminium wire that goes through a nozzle like a mig welder I understand, the electromagnetic field to press the metal and produce a droplet ... ? ... I thought aluminium is not affected by magnetism. 

Probably the magnetic field induces a current in the molten aluminum that in turn creates a magnetic field in opposition, and that squirts the metal out?

Copper is also non-ferrous but if you do the experiment where you drop a strong rare-earth magnet down a copper tube, it doesn't fall normally, but sort of floats downward, and I think it's the same principle.  The moving magnet causes a current in the copper pipe, which causes a magnetic field in opposition to the falling magnet.  It's neat to see...

-- Dave

Nothing mysterious about magnetic force and metal. Move any metal through a magnetic field and it induces current in the metal. Pass current through any metal and it induces a magnetic field. Relatively speaking there is zero difference between passing a metal though a field or passing the field over a metal.

ANY metal or metallic element like hydrogen. Dropping a magnet through copper pipe induces magnetodynamic forces and slows the magnets fall. If you were to roll the copper in a ring and spin it between a couple magnets you have a generator, pass electricity through the copper and you have a motor. Same same.

What I really like is the magneto hydro dynamic drive. This device induces a strong magnetic field around a tunnel and supplies an electric current in the tunnel. Motion is induced in the water in the tunnel, force is determined by electric current and magnetic fields strength. The direction of flow is induced by the poles of the electric current.

MHDs work much better in salt water, sodium is a metal and salt is a good electrolyte "conductor." I'm waiting to see power generation done with MHD rather than turbine generators.

So yes you could direct the flow of molten metals by applying power differentials and ground sites in the plasma flow. And oh yes I'd turn the metal being printed into plasma, it's MUCH easier to direct.

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, RobbieG said:

3D printing technologies are moving so fast these days. I would like to see the heat shielding they would require to create steel droplets instead of aluminium!

Should not be much of challenge with induction pulse heating (the induction pulse being what propels the aluminum droplet in the Vader device) within a non-conductive ceramic discharge vessel or one made of high permeability sintered or formed metal such as "mu metal"?

Additive Manufacturing is currently being heavily invested in by my employer.

http://www.steicoindustries.com/lib/video/steico.264.mp4

We will see the combining of some of the best off-the-shelf systems result in a huge leap forward quite soon, I think.

Mark1 - Drop or slide a magnet down an aluminium tube, or across an inclined aluminum plate. You will observe the reactive drag of the induced eddy current.

Thomas, this thread is moving faster than I can post - yes, eddy current braking. And further, Thomas,add ferrimagnetism to the list.

And Frosty, I see that you just chimed in, I will read yours after I post - nothing mysterious for YOU!

Slag, easier to move the nozzle in X & Y than to magnetically bias a metal stream - but I am working on a new invention - I call it the cathode ray tube!  :rolleyes:

Cheers, SLAG, and all enthusiasts. And Thomas, I look forward to your expose`.

Robert Taylor

Wow, Frosty, good on ya!

Edited by Anachronist58
Frenetic Posters

Woodnmetalguy,

You are now a new member of the I. f. I. technology and metallurgy sub-group:  if you so desire.

Welcome & congratulations,   Sir!

All other I. f. I. members are also welcome to join our honorable sub-group.

Sincerely,

SLAG.