I Forge Iron

nail hooks

ausfire

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aus,

There should be some rural all purpose hardware stores located in farming communities to suit your needs. That is the kind of establishment that would carry, items like lye, muriatic acid, fencing supplies farming and building equipment etc.

Ace Hardware, Loews. et al are general hardware stores that might carry such things in the U.S.A.

But companies like Tractor Supply stores are more likely to have what you want to acquire. Yes these companies are probably not in Australia. But there should be counterpart stores that cater to that niche.

I think you already know that. (so please suffer me being a little pedantic.)

Perhaps that helps.

SLAG.

Hope you are enjoying the high summer.

10 hours ago, SLAG said:

Aus,

There should be some rural all purpose hardware stores located in farming communities to suit your needs. That is the kind of establishment that would carry, items like lye, muriatic acid, fencing supplies farming and building equipment etc.

Ace Hardware, Loews. et al are general hardware stores that might carry such things in the U.S.A.

But companies like Tractor Supply stores are more likely to have what you want to acquire. Yes these companies are probably not in Australia. But there should be counterpart stores that cater to that niche.

I think you already know that. (so please suffer me being a little pedantic.)

Perhaps that helps.

SLAG.

Hope you are enjoying the high summer.

Yeah, you would think so, but I've searched rural supplies and such with no success.

High summer for sure ... a bit uncomfortable in the smithy though. More sweat on the anvil today. It's supposed to be monsoon season and at least the rain would cool things a little.

Walking on Aus's path :)

I tried to take this to more reproductive level: hook stem part is half of the original nail's size, hook bent on jig, leaf stem is drawn down to fixed size (the whole length is 390 mm when it's drawn). Tried to jig the leaf stem bend but it wasn't good, have to think more. Also need something to uniform the place of the punched holes - but I think I just eyeball them for a while.

Tried the thinner, longer veining - I like it better! Also made a slightly curved chisel for veining, but it has to be reground -failed the test. And can't find my crimping stake...

So, more work ahead! 

Bests:

Gergely

2017 01 szeg akaszto 3 1.jpg

Gergely, your eye-balled punched holes look fine to me. I'm adopting Vaughn's technique of making divots for the holes first. The bit of flattening that occurs helps keep them in line. I place the holes about 30mm apart, halfway along the nails. Two chalk marks on the anvil indicate the spot.

And yes, the longer veins look good. The slightly curved chisel is the way to go, so you can chase the groove.  I prefer a bit more shoulder on the leaves, but that's just my choice.

Great work, and thanks for posting the pics.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work, guys.

Bryson, you have the holes well placed on the bends. I like that idea. I assume you punched the holes last. Well, before the final hook anyway. I've always done the holes first because I reckon if you do all that work with the leaf and the bends and then mess up with a hole punch you lose all that work. I'm better at hole punching now than I used to be so I'll do it your way next time. The bends would stop the round bar from rolling, too.

16 hours ago, ausfire said:

Nice work, guys.

Bryson, you have the holes well placed on the bends. I like that idea. I assume you punched the holes last. Well, before the final hook anyway. I've always done the holes first because I reckon if you do all that work with the leaf and the bends and then mess up with a hole punch you lose all that work. I'm better at hole punching now than I used to be so I'll do it your way next time. The bends would stop the round bar from rolling, too.

Hey, Ausfire, congrats on the 2000th post!

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

I hope at least some of them made sense. :)

Hehe! I've seen worse ;)

That darned coat rack tricked me again - I have to do the assembling again from top, must tear apart what I've done so far :angry: But I found some nails at the yard and I plan to use them as hot rivets. Will see how it works out...

Bests:

Gergely