I Forge Iron

Well-designed guided helve hammer

This may have shown up on the forum before, but I just came across this video of a very well-designed Swedish guided helve hammer.  It has a quick-change height adjustment system, with coarse and fine adjustments.  At 25 kg, that works out to about a 55 lb ram weight.

Torbjorn was kind enough to send me a bunch of dimensions on that hammer, I was and still am considering building a helve hammer and would build it as close to the abno as possible. the best designed helve style ive ever seen

Nice stuff, thanks for vid, James!

It looks like an old Ajax type but with very cool modifications. That slip-in die changing is the coolest of all. Also it's very elegant and pretty, not as stubby as the Ajaxes.

To the home-built PH thing: I was considering and also started to build a hammer. (Actually one like Stormcrow has :) ) But facing the many many problems I jumped right in when I saw a PH for sale in the next town. As I calculated afterwards I even got it cheaper then a home-built. - And I think this model Tubbe has is way more difficult to build than James's. Don't know your background, only sharing what I think.

Bests:

Gergely

The one thing that most holds me back from building my own power hammer (apart from lack of time, money, materials, and somewhere to put it) is knowing that my welding skills are not up to the task and what might happen when things start coming apart at high speed. 

• 2 years later...

I know this is an older thread but this is the next hammer I want to build. I have been looking for something a little different that also looked great.  I love the features of this hammer.  Where can I get some dimensions to a hammer like this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for lifting this old thread, but I've really developed an affection for this powerhammer, the Abno no.1.

That's all.

No wait I too wonder about maybe manufacturing something like this, one day. I was thinking if you'd go about this on your own you'd likely weld the frame from square tubing mainly, and probably a solid round post for the anvil. How would a welded frame compared though to a cast iron one I wonder. Lighter for sure, but would it be as good at absorbing vibrations, would the frame be as stiff (I think it might, given proper design). The inside of the frame could perhaps be filled with sand, or lead if you got it in such amounts. 

It's a very interesting design but sadly there is not a lot of data on it on the internet. I wold like a better look at the drive system.

I did a google image search of this site (that really works well) to help me find similar looking power hammer builds and I can see the concept I have in my head has been made by others several times. Looks like workable idea, though a solid post ought to be used for the anvil support.

Yeah, here's another one. I can tell that all these homemade versions have not got the two adjustable features of the ABNO 25 kg hammer. I am unsure what purpose the rear adjustment does on the ABNO, the front adjustment seems to allow you to raise and lower the head. The read adjustment seems to move the rear connection in and out, it obviously has some effect, rigidity of the setup I guess, perhaps further out means more flex which is perhaps desired in some operations, and vice versa.

Those  two adjustable features really seem important for a versatile hammer though. And the clutch in the abno seems more advanced. I believe it's some kind of slip clutch, perhaps mating conical features. And the heavy flywheel helps too to regulate the slowdown and startup of the hammer movement.

A power hammer is many years into my future, I might go with a press instead too, it's hard to say since it's all in the haze of the future... But if I could find a real ABNO 25kg at an affordable price, even in bad shape. I think I'd lunge at it.