I Forge Iron

How ( not to ) heat treat an anvil

I have seen classes of knifemakers set a 30 gallon tank on fire by quenching too many blades in too short of an interval. It at least had wheels, a much lower center of gravity, and a fitted lid to extinguish the flames.

Now, imagine dunking one hundred pounds of metal in 30 gallons of oil. Hilarity does not ensue. If they had knocked it over......

Let's see, besides the near complete lack of practical sense and safety he doesn't seem to know what critical temperature is or even means. Even given it was done in broad daylight the anvil was barely showing color on the horn I'd give it a generous temp of maybe 1,200f and no soak time. Do I have any confirming observations for my opinion? How about a maybe 25% rebound?

I loved the guy shooting a full dry chemical extinguisher into an oil fire when a cookie sheet would've put it out.

Another perfect example of what you need to be an expert on the internet, a video camera and a connection. I was really hoping they'd either boil or knock the tank over and torch the SUV. Seriously the video should have SOME redeeming value shouldn't it?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, are you sure that you're not just jealous of their display of" skill and artistry" ? :D besides that Anvil "looked good" and that's wot really count, ain't it ?

What I find quite fascinating is somebody arrives in their car and parks it close to where a couple of palookas are mucking about with burning oil?