I Forge Iron

Small Wired Cable Bowie

jmccustomknives

I got bored last weekend and had a hot forge so i found this piece of 5/8" crane cable that had very fine wires.  Usually I avoid these cables due to decarborization that occurs during the forge welding process.  But I've been experimenting with putting charcoal in the flux with the idea that the carbon wouldn't be able to burn off and the borax would carry it into the core.  In the past with cables like this I could bend them over without breaking and drilling wasn't to difficult out of the quench.  I've been pleased with the performance enhancements this process has imparted.  I used the knife to cut the 7oz leather out for its sheath.  The cable was squared, stacked and forge welded then forged out with the cable running stacked down the blade.  The guard is 1/2" cable with cocobolo handle and brass pommel. 

I think I can see the carborization in the close up.  I've not ever seen one etch like this.

005.jpg007.jpg

6 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

I keep coming back to look at this one.  The blade pattern is almost reptilian.  No matter how many times I look at it, it's still a handsome piece of functional art.  :)

Thanks, I'm planning on revisiting the pattern with a more appropriate handle material.  I'm thinking snakewood, but I haven't found the right piece.

• 3 weeks later...