I Forge Iron

Rusted Peter Wright

Well a few people tried to warn me about the bench vise addiction that didn't work, now Anvils.  anyways its cheaper then drinking scotch. Found this beat to xxxx Peter Wright exact same size as the SISCO I found. I have it soaking in the electrolysis tank to remove the rust I will probably put it in the cabin for looks not work, but cool none the less. May try to clean up the face if I find time. I looked at some of the restorations on this site and You Tube, due to its condition it may be more then I can handle. I have done over 25 bench vise restorations but they didn't require any welding and the ones that did were not worth the effort. I will pull it out of the tank in a few hours and post some pics. All comments welcome even ones that call me an idiot, I am used to it been married for 26 years. 

IMG_2303.JPG

I have cleaned up a few rusted anvils, but none like that one. That is amazingly rusted for Arizona! The last few I used a cup brush to knock off anything I could that was loose and dusty. After that I evaluate and decide if it is worth a belt sander or not to knock off the really high stuff. It is amazing how far those pits will go. In fact I think some of them will reach to the table.  

On 10/3/2016 at 11:28 PM, GreyGhost27 said:

Well a few people tried to warn me about the bench vise addiction that didn't work, now Anvils.  anyways its cheaper then drinking scotch. Found this beat to xxxx Peter Wright exact same size as the SISCO I found. I have it soaking in the electrolysis tank to remove the rust I will probably put it in the cabin for looks not work, but cool none the less. May try to clean up the face if I find time. I looked at some of the restorations on this site and You Tube, due to its condition it may be more then I can handle. I have done over 25 bench vise restorations but they didn't require any welding and the ones that did were not worth the effort. I will pull it out of the tank in a few hours and post some pics. All comments welcome even ones that call me an idiot, I am used to it been married for 26 years. 

How did you go with the electrolysis tank? I've never done something like that before it would be interesting to try it out for fun.

Ive seen a few videos on YouTube, what are you using for the tank power supply???

Came out good had to jump on a plane to Texas so I will get pic when I get back.  I used a battery charger for the power source negative goes to the piece you want to remove the rust from, positive to your sacrificial piece of steel. I used a plastic storage bin for the tank and mix in Armor Hammer washing soda not baking soda, I get it at Ace hardware. Not really sure of the ratio probably a cup to 5 gallons all your really doing is making the water super conductive so it doesn't have to be exact.