I Forge Iron

Something to look for at yard sales

eseemann

Good Morning All, 

I found something at my favorite thrift store in Madison Al that I did not think existed outside of a Roger Corman movie called a "Leg Stretch Machine". These are used (according to websites that sell them) are used "to allow you the optimum amount of stretching of the leg and hip areas". The reason I bring this up is for $20.00 bucks I have a 1"+ thick by around 12" long steel Acme screw, nut, 2 steel bevel gears and a wheel to turn them. I also have a bunch of thin wall square and rectangle stock for good measure. Might be worth looking around if you need a good size screw and if you catch the right sale you can get these cheap.

Leg Stretch Machine.png

By thrift stores do you mean pawn shops or used tool stores?  We had an amazing used tool store nearby that closed recently.  I've been looking for other places that may have the things I may want but they are hard to find.

Lou. 

In Alabama we have more churches than we can shake a stick at and some of them have stores that operate like the Good Will or Salvation Army. People donate things and they sell them. The catch all term for such junk (or Junque if you are fancy) shops is thrift store. Not every thrift store is attached to a non-profit but they all take donations. For example there are (at least) 3 different thrift stores connected to animal  rescue/protection groups both public and private.

If you have never been to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore (play on words) you might want to take a look. 

Hartford Area Habitat for Humanity ReStore
500 Cottage Grove Rd Orange, CT
(860) 519-0828 

Take a look around for junk stores that look kind of "gone to seed" and you may find some good stuff. 

Thanks eseeman, that's exactly the lead I needed for guidance.  I'll check out that spot and now have a few other possibilities as well.  I've recently discovered that I have access to free coil springs and 300 pound leaf springs from security trucks.  If I can add some great find to that I'll be quite pleased!

Lou

X out "Vietnam Vets of America" they have 15 trucks a day going around CT picking up what ever people want to donate ( with limitations in size) and I was just told they have a Thrift store some where in  the state( didn't ask where).  Tools are one of the items they pickup.  We are moving and we have them scheduled every 2-3 weeks to stop and even I have given some old tools.  

• 2 weeks later...

I found a thrift shop associated with Big Brothers/Big Sisters right nearby but they didn't have anything really....just some cheap hair dryers.  I really tried to be creative.  I think they move lots of stock so I'll go back.  Haven't made it to Waterbury yet.  My schedule has become packed.  I'll get there soon as I can!

One thing about thrift stores, especially ones run by volunteers, is they may not know there is a market for the rusty old tools they get donated.  I remember visiting a Salvation Army thrift store where the staff was having trouble dumping a load in their trash truck so I helped and found that they were throwing out a perfect condition wood worker's vise and a lot of other great stuff---they told me I could have anything in the "trash" I wanted but I "bought" the trash load so I could get all the goodies there myself that day!

So talk with them; tell them you will buy all ballpeen hammer heads rusty or clean handled or not and get them to start piling them up for you...

Notownkid, I think even the people living in Waterbury feel the way you do.  Sad because it has such amazing history.

Thomas, I thought to talk to someone there and ask about tools but not a one of them looked like they knew anything about anything.  They were just shuffling through racks of clothes and it seemed they'd look at me like I was crazy.  Now I know to go back and ask.  Thanks for the idea.

The Goodwill donation center across the street from my shop had some goodies tossed in their scrap metal dumpster that we were given just for asking. The complete rotor to rotor FORD I beam front suspension with factory tags still attached was too deep to get out, and the 1950's chrome dinette set was the same.....:( Both were worth a fast $300 at the time. This is what happens when you hire people who earn low wages, and just don't care..