I Forge Iron

Overwhelmed rookie in Ypsi-tucky

TRBoatsol

Hi, I'm Anthony, TRBoatsol being one of the more childish pseudonyms I've come up with. 

I was introduced to blacksmithing via my family's involvement in a historical society. I cranked the bellows for the regular smith and some guest farriers at an event and by the end of the following summer I was hammering out decent pieces and the summer after that I effectively became the main smith. Partly because the other guy was always working his paying job when there was an event on. I moved away from there this spring but still have an itch to shape metal. I've been looking into setting up my own little workspace using gas because my fiance is adamantly opposed to me continuing to work with coal but have been overwhelmed by the sheer volume and variety of designs and materials. All I want is to make knives and hanging hooks and all the little solutions to problems I keep finding that I could solve in a half hour with heat and hammer. So here I am, looking for help and trying to learn what I can.

Ypsi-tucky is a nickname for a community SE of Ypsilanti Michigan in which I now live. It came about due to the large number of people brought up from Kentucky by Ford to work in the plant here. Just a little history tidbit because I love those.

Welcome, Anthony! 

A couple of suggestions:

First, put your location in your profile, so we don't have to keep asking. We've got a number of members in Michigan, so someone might well reach out to you.

Second, take some time to read over the forum. There's a TON of material here, and most of your questions have probably been answered already, if you take the time to look. If not, at least you'll be able to pose your questions more intelligently! (Be aware that a lot of the older posts in the forum lost their images in a server migration a little while back. Still good info in the text, though.) This leads me to:

Third, there are a lot of people who really know their stuff here on IFI, but they get a little cranky when people ask the same blasted question that they've already answered fifty thousand times already. As you do your reading, you'll see plenty of examples of this. So be warned: read the pinned posts at the head of each section, know what you really want to know before you ask, and be respectful of the curmudgeons. All will be well.

Again, welcome!

Thanks, I forgot that bit about locations, it's been a few years since I did anything with internet forums but I still remember most basic etiquette, I think. I have been looking through the forum and there definitely is a ton of info, it's just overwhelming trying to sort through it all. I won't be actually asking anything until enough pieces have come together for me to see the holes, if that makes any sense. It's kinda how i tend to operate anyway, not a reaction to you.

Welcome aboard Anthony, glad to have you. Oh you are so going to fit right in here, I approach learning in a similar way, first I sort of outline, then acquire a working handle and if I need to know specifics I know where to look. It's sort of a quilt of an education but it gets me by.

Frosty The Lucky.

TRBoatsol,  I grew up in Ypsilanti, out in the Willow Run neighborhood.  For folks that don't know, the Ford Motor company built a B-24 bomber plant out in Willow Run during WWII.   Post war it changed hands to GM which is where they made automatic transmissions. The plant had a gradient along the production floor that allowed the rolling frames of the aircraft to move along the production line by gravity.  Neat place with lots of history.

Ypsilanti has a few claims to fame, the most...architecturally distinct is their water tower.  It has made visitors wonder what's in Ypsilanti's water for 126 years now.

18 minutes ago, teenylittlemetalguy said:

worst water tower ever....

I've seen worse. It'd be perfect in Spenard. I'm looking forward to dinner Thursday or I'd make Mtn. View jokes.

I'd love it standing on top of Flat Top, a flood lit fountain comes to mind. We could probably sell Mayor Spendowitze on it.

Frosty The Lucky,

it looks like a.....uh..... mushroom.

Littleblacksmith

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:17 PM, TRBoatsol said:

my fiance is adamantly opposed to me continuing to work with coal 

That sounds bad already.  I did look up your water tower, it's a piece of work alright.  Good luck with your quest

That is some water tower. Lots of puns come to mind Frosty. but perhaps we should not go there!

Once you get over the initial impact, it's nice to see neat architectural features, like the crosses worked into the stonework. I doubt many people would take much notice though. :)

On 6/25/2016 at 3:42 PM, ausfire said:

That is some water tower. Lots of puns come to mind Frosty. but perhaps we should not go there!

Once you get over the initial impact, it's nice to see neat architectural features, like the crosses worked into the stonework. I doubt many people would take much notice though. :)

Water tower jokes? ME? I wouldn't touch one of those! No sirree, not me not a chance!

Dinner was excellent Tristan, had a good time playing with the kids too an all round great evening, thanks.

Frosty The Lucky.

So the council did not need a Ferrari?

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:03 AM, Charles R. Stevens said:

That is a concept Glenn introduced me, of learning enough to be "ignorant" lol

Ignorance is easily cured, stupid on the other hand is not so easy!