I Forge Iron

RR Spikes Needed

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got one of the boxes of spikes in at the school today. That was quick! The office gal phoned me to let me know it was there. She exclaimed, "It's really heavy!" We were so excited opening it up I forget if it came from John or Richard. I believe it was the one Richard sent. Nearly every spike was "gift wrapped" in newspaper. The tenth graders are pretty excited about making knives out of them. (Of course, at the beginning of class last fall, all the kids wanted to make knives and swords.) Little do they know that the 3/8th inch stock they made their hooks out of were a lot easier to hammer and shape than this next project will be. Ya, ya, we'll get them to do some honest "work" one way or another!

Well thanks you guys!

And for our next trick, John McLellan (of the CBA, California Blacksmith Association) will be visiting Hawaii with family in a few days. He says he'll pack 3 or 4 bags of coke along with him if I give them a ride to their hotel. Sounds like a deal to me. And us down to our last two bags of coke. Talk about timing. Phew.

Phil...glad to hear the box made it okay...was worried that the postal system would wreck it before it got all the way out to you.

Sorry to be so petty but I work for the Post Office and most parcels get damaged because the sender didn't package it properly.

Remember that any package could potentially end up UNDER one that weighs 70lbs. They all travel together in the same container.

Back on subject.

Phil - Do you have enough spikes or do you need more? I could send some of these if you want...

4849.attach

Kevin; My experiences with the post office is that "packing it correctly" consists of building a box that fits inside their box and holds the material *and* labeling everything individually so when it is shredded all the pieces end up at the same place. So far as I recall *every* flat rate box I have sent of steel has ended up pretty much destroyed and only my internal boxes have survived---sometimes.

I had one go missing where I had re-inforced the original box and packed the 6 pieces of 1" x 1' WI individual so *nothing* would shift when violently shaken and only a piece of the shell ended up arriving. The next one I built a wooden structure in the box to hold the rods and it got there; but at a dead loss on the deal.

I had a friend ship me two large rounds---came to 68 pounds and he labeled them individually. The box was shredded but they did get to me along with a small pile of box shreds.

Actually I think the problem is in the *weight* in the box. No matter how many *heavy* stickers are on it it still is a lot heavier than the people are expecting---from what I've seen of the postal people when I've mailed them and they are even taking them right off the scale!. When you come right down to it most folks don't have my experience with stuff as dense as iron/steel in good sized chunks.

Only takes a couple of drops on a concrete floor of a 50# concentrated weight to severly damage a cardboard box no matter how well the inside is packed.

Perhaps smiths should ge special bright red HAZARD boxes to *really* warn the handlers that they will be *heavy*.

Hey folks! Looks like you might be right on regarding the challenges of heavy iron mailed in flat rate boxes. Of the two bundles of spikes shipped to us, one appeared a couple of days ago, the other is still in hinterland somewhere. If you could all turn three times and spit over your left shoulders into your forges and shout to the west winds...HONOLULU...maybe they'll still get here. Thanks, Phil

Thomas , just recently i " tried " to send 1 of the IFI members some AUSSIE beer ,, OZ post tells me it left our shores , , they can track it hittin' the USA , then GONE ... Either US customs or the US postal service enjoyed an early Christmas drink on me .....:(

Dale Russell

It is very hard for me to find HC RR spikes. What I have are RR spike that are marked with a K. They are not the best metal, but are fun to play with. I would be happy to send you all that you need for just he price of the shipping for Maryland. If you would like then . They are not as good as the HC rr spikes
wally b
Badur's Blacksmithing
badurblacksmith@aol.com

Wallace! Hello. Glad to see you here!

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/klinker-breaker-not-4782/

Be sure to see #9

Nice clinker breaker Tom, tell whoever gave it to you, they did a really good job......

I'm guessing you have an "in" on spikes, (with your night job and all), Linda and I stopped at a few places on the way home and picked Tom up 20 non-descript spikes to play with. He had fun. He'll be gone for a week (Sunny Florida). We should get together when he gets back. He has 16 spikes left :) . Thanks, MIKE
(FrogPond'sDad)

PS: Wallace's location will be VERY similar to ours. :)

• 5 months later...

Hi Friends,

There's a saying that, one sure way to learn something is to teach it. Well, I'm giving it a shot. Here are some of my 10th graders with their final blacksmithing project before the school year ended. Need-less-to-say, nearly each and everyone of them hit a wall (burning blades too thin at the tips (or some such)) on their way to completing their rail road spike knives. But, as you can see here, they hit the finish line with plenty of vim and vigor...and steel to spare.

Enjoy. They did. As did I!

Mahalo, Phil

PS - Thanks for the spikes John and Richard. We put them to good use.

PPS - Can we trouble anyone for some more? I've got even more classes to teach this coming school year.

7045.attach

7046.attach

Thanks guys!

PMs sent. Justin, do please bring what you can to the hammer in.

I need some in NH too. Believe it or not, I've already got another 15 year old to teach. I knocked on a door the other day to try and buy a log that was in the yard (that hadn't cut and split into firewood yet) to help setup my NH smithy...and what do you know? The guy's teenage kid wants to be a blacksmith. Took a workshop at Old Sturbridge Village. He'll be over here to play around in no time.

I tell you, life's a trip. All I have to do is follow my nose and she unfolds in wondrous ways.

All the best, Phil

Phil
ill start a collection, I only got bout 10 or 20 right now but I'd gladly support any endeavor of teaching kids to smith, I'll let ya know when I get a box full and for the contact info. cheers to you man, thats a great thing you're doin Keep up the good work

You can mail the spikes in USPS flat rate boxes for one low price. Be aware there is a weight limit above which postage is by weight. Check with the PO for the exact weight before you load up.

Frosty

• 3 weeks later...

I can come up with some spikes too, if needed. Please let me know.

I was stationed in Oahu for a year (Schofield) and I miss it. I'm going to bring my family out one of these days... When I figure the 5yr old can handle such a long flight out and back without driving a flight crew to suicide.

Aloha,

Bill