I Forge Iron

RR Spikes Needed

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Friends,

Any of you good folks know where we could buy some HC RR spikes for our high school blacksmithing class out here in Hawaii? Need about 30.

Thanks, Phil

Do they need to be RR spikes? I'm sure you could buy 9/16" or 5/8" sq. stock a lot cheaper. Even in Hawaii.

Heck it might be fun to make a header, have the kids forge their own RR spike, then make whatever you have in mind from them.

Frosty

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. We're on Oahu. Your right, fuel is a prob too. Tried kiawe (mesquite) charcoal. Fine for me, but too sparky for the kids. Propane forge would be easiest, but it's just not the same magic. We're in suburban setting so have settled on coke rather than coal. Presently there are often 4-6 kids trying to get their irons in our only forge's fire at the same time. They share two anvils and one post vise. We only have 45 minute sessions twice a week. Even at that, only half the group works at a time, thus 20 minutes or so is all a kid gets to heat and whack away.

Sounds like a good mix for teaching. I've discovered two kids learn much faster than one. Competition combined with pooling their brains I think.

You might consider a chip bed propane forge. They're common in europe, much more common than our reverberatory furnace type forges.

Chip bed forges work by injecting the air fuel mix into the bottom of a shallow pan filled with refractory chips. The fire heats the chips and the chips heat the work in turn. I supose this makes it a reverberatory system but I 'm not sure.

Anyway, visually they're very much like a solid fuel forge without the smoke, sparks, ash, clinker, etc.

While they'd be pretty expensive to buy and ship from europe they should be pretty easy to make. Not as easy as what we normally think of as a propane forge but no where near as difficult as a power hammer.

This is the URL of one supplier. Gas Forges: Metal & Heat Treatment Equipment: Flamefast

Frosty

I used a flamefast oxy/methane forge some years ago at school. Can't say I used the forge function but the torch was very useful, as I'm sure it would be in a smithy. If you build one, I suggest you incorporate a torch too; depending on the fuel, you can heat specific pieces of iron (rivets, bends, twists...), braze, soft solder and cut.

Richard,
Thanks for the info, not sure what 50 spikes weighed but the lady at the post office didn't have a problem with the box I sent Phil. She rolled it around on the table taping it up and then put it on the cart. She didn't even ask what was inside:D.I originally took 30 to the post office and the lady gave me the flat rate box and thirty didn't fill it much past halfway. I ran back home and pulled some more out of the pile. I know there was at least 50 but not sure how many there actually were.
I hope the kids get to make some neat keepsakes. Just maybe Phil will share some pictures with us.

John