I Forge Iron

Hydraulic rams are made from tough steels, so it may not get extremely hard. The chrome plating is extremely hard, and slippery wear surface. Case hardening is done on lower grade mild steels to harden just the surface leaving a tough inner core, you do not case harden good steels. 

To test it out, take a thin slice off of one end , heat to bright red,and quench in water. Test with a file, and try to snap it in a vise with a hammer to see the grain structure.

I hope to be able to do knives, axes, and iron work to accompany my woodworking projects.don't every think I'll be doing giant pieces or production scale work.  Just a guy who likes to make things "anythings" that come into the old idea locker on my shoulders.

Well you don't use a cone mandrel for knives or axes, so unless you are doing a lot of rings that need to be opened up it won't get much use. 

To answer you main concern, yes, it will be fine as is for smithing. Just work on hammer control so you don't go nicking it up from errant hammer blows. If you do ding it with a hammer, do not file the high spots down. Tap them down with the hammer first. The metal moved, so push it back down before any filing is done. I saved a lot of gun screws by tapping the heads back into shape after someone had buggered them up with an ill fitting screwdriver. It also works with rounded out Allen heads to a point.

Before you go to a LOT of effort, time and money maybe you should spend your time developing your skills sets. What you're doing is a common beginner's mistake in most any craft you're trying to find or make the perfect tools. We've all done it one time or another, don't feel special. There really isn't anything making a blade needs a horn or mandrel cone for. Nope not a thing.

There are much better things to buy, find or make to make bladesmithing easier. For now though, build a fire and start making.

Frosty The Lucky.

In your first post you said it was a hydraulic ram.

They are chrome plated. Pounding on it will eventually crack the chrome and it will cut you. Bad bleeding  situation--trust me. Find a round piece of stock and weld it in that cut out. Then forge on into the future. Welcome to the fun!