I Forge Iron

Noob's First... Thing. CAUTION - not safe for knifemaker's eyes!

Okay. So here's my first ever... uhm... creation. Thing.

I call it the paleolithic intimidator. Paleolithic for obvious reasons. Intimidator because that's about all it's good for. (It does cut! Sorta!)

Tools used:
Railroad Spike
Mexican Cast Steel Anvil
Whisper Momma at 6PSI
Ball Peen Hammer
Bastard File
Scrap Leather Thong

I know it's lame. But! It sure was a xxxx of a lot of fun to make!

4628.attach

the purpose of a forum and a community is to offer information, encouragement, and fellowship.

but the comic potential sometimes overwhelms that

1. who's thong?

2. I think the Lucky Charm's Leprechaun is looking for a new hockey stick :P

now that Ive got that out of my system :rolleyes:
nice photo
nice leatherwork (but then your a pro aren't you ;) )
nice texture work we actually try to do that most of the time at work

constructive
dont be afraid to stick it back in for more reheats
Id guess the biggest problem was holding the hot steel?
at work most of what we do involves an architectural scale, working with a bigger cooler lever simplifies control, a bigger chunk of steel might help
When I started my boss put me onto making a thousand penny scrolls (rather small), think about what both hands are doing, keeping the hammer face parallel to the anvil. There is really no substitute for just doing it again and again till it becomes muscle memory.

;)

Congratulations on posting your first efforts. With a little more hammer time and practice you can work the metal to be a lot smoother. Keep this one so in a year you can look back and say this was where I started. I still have my first effort and use it as a letter opener.

It hurts to look at but at least you have the guts to show it, I think I threw my first few solo attempts away. I probably wouldn't have dared to show them here then, I'm not particularly proud of the items I posted yesterday but I'm not concerned about possible ridicule anymore. I do the best I can and keep trying to improve! Having fun and continuing to learn is the key.

Hard to look at!

I'm gonna sell it - just you watch!

Hand Forged Railroad Spike Knife

Thanks to all for the helpful advice and for the friendly ribbing. To be honest, I knew it needed more time, but I got rather impatient. I wanted to get it sharp-ish and to start carving stuff up. It didn't even start as a knife. It started as me whacking away on a railroad spike just because and it kinda got knife-ish shaped and so I went with it. Truth be told, I had absolutely no desire to do any knifesmithing! (Though I do now feel it important to appease the knifemaker gods and to atone for my sins by making a less ugly knife at some point.)

I won't make any excuses - it's ugly - but the lighting in the picture over-dramatizes just how ugly it is. But I kinda like ugly. It's 100% clear that it's made by hand, no? :)

As for the hammer, it's already crowned (is that the right terminology - the edges of the face are already rounded?) and the resulting ugliness is completely due to lack of control and inability. Don't blame my poor hammer on my bad technique! She's already been through quite enough today!!!

wow, it looks like its been beaten more violently than a ginger stepson but it looks kinda nice in its own way. thanks for sharing it.

When I make somthing that is a bit ' rough ' round the edges I use descriptive phrases like ' rustic ' , 'textured' etc..... gives it some b.s credability in my own mind anyways... :)

look forward to seeing more in the future..

when I first started whacking hot steel (not that long ago, Im at best a middlin apprentice) the lead journeyman at our shop had me do an exercise, taking a flat relatively wide piece of stock (1">2" x 14">38") strike a successive pattern of blows drawing in out (marginally) what it shows you is your bias, how far off of parallel from the anvil face you are, like having a slice in golf :P

reheat flip it over and practice neutralizing that bias, slowly drawing out the steel with each pass

good practice ;)

It is fun isn't it North?

Here's my second piece - a letter opener.

Well, it's kind of my second piece.

I have made a few other things, but I can't really call them mine because I had varying amounts of help. I was under instruction and at some stage, I succumbed to the offer of "Here, let me fix that for ya".

My first piece was a leaf, and I burned it away to nothingness - but I've already told that story.

I did the whole thing bass-ackwards, forging the blade end first and then the handle. But this time, when Dale very kindly offered to "fix that fullering for ya" - I told him I'd rather leave it flawed.

The rusty bar is what it was like before I started to play with it. Mister Washington is only there for a size reference.

4629.attach

If your hammer already has rounded edges, than it might be that you don't have the spike hot enough. Be sure to keep it at bright orange/yellow in color. Other than that, It doesn't look bad at all. Kinda "sick" lookin'. Sorta like mid-evil. Just grind the edge smoother so its more rounded than jagged. I like it. No question about it!! Keep practicing you'll find that it only gets more and more fun from here! :)

-Hillbilly

Looks like you noticed that as you pound out the edge bevel the blade bends the other way.

Two ways to get around this are to 1: prebend the piece the other way and then it will straighten as you hammer out the bevel, or what I usually do: heat the blade and place the spine on the anvil and gently hammer on the edge driving the spine to lie flat on the anvil---this actually works and can be done repeatedly. If the edge gets real thin then a post vise can be used to push the blade straight again.

Hard to look at!

I'm gonna sell it - just you watch!

Hand Forged Railroad Spike Knife

Thanks to all for the helpful advice and for the friendly ribbing. To be honest, I knew it needed more time, but I got rather impatient. I wanted to get it sharp-ish and to start carving stuff up. It didn't even start as a knife. It started as me whacking away on a railroad spike just because and it kinda got knife-ish shaped and so I went with it. Truth be told, I had absolutely no desire to do any knifesmithing! (Though I do now feel it important to appease the knifemaker gods and to atone for my sins by making a less ugly knife at some point.)

I won't make any excuses - it's ugly - but the lighting in the picture over-dramatizes just how ugly it is. But I kinda like ugly. It's 100% clear that it's made by hand, no? :)

As for the hammer, it's already crowned (is that the right terminology - the edges of the face are already rounded?) and the resulting ugliness is completely due to lack of control and inability. Don't blame my poor hammer on my bad technique! She's already been through quite enough today!!!

Haha, I like your craigslist ad:

Forged in the HELLFIRE of a quiet MEXICAN NEIGHBORHOOD IN NORTH LAS VEGAS.

Funny! :D Good luck with your first sale. A word of advice - once you start making more stuff, I have found craigslist to be the worst place to find customers for nice ironwork. Unless you are selling it for dirt cheap. Everyone is looking for a bargain, and if you try to trade ironwork for something worth a bit of money, everyone wants 30 feet of really detailed railing installed.

• 6 months later...

I think it looks pretty cool. There a guy here who intentionally makes his blades rough like that - they look flint knapped and he sells them to the pioneer set. Draws down a tang and epoxies them into deer antler handles.

Very cool work, my friend.

Bill

Abstract comes to mind.

We all started out the same, not being any good, and some of us are still not much better (me), but that's the way it is with anything your just learning, honestly, I think it's pretty good for a first try.

Keep practicing.

welder19

I find that I must comment. The Nessmuk, which you have so traditionally forged is one of my favorite game dressing knives. Your hammer work, recalling the knapped flint texture is appropriate. Frosty can chime in- maybe he already has, but when I saw your first knife, bravely displayed, I was so proud of you. I believe that the earliest examples of the type can date to the Iron Age and it was not any easier for those Far Northern civilizations to make than what effort you invested. Flint, obsidian etc. were not easily available to the ancients in that part of the world and flaked leaf shaped knives were the rule- or, carefully saved and shaped bone were the first Nessmuks.

Somewhere around this jumble I call home, I have my first attempt to forge a flintlock plate- if I could dig it out and show it, you would see the traditional vertical fullers at the rear of the plate, but the also traditional "tail" at the rear would drop off if looked at too long- the web cut through a couple of times and the Master Gunsmith, finally started going nuts( and startled by the crudity of my curses), that he could take no more and managed to draw out the last available bit of wrought for the last try- it took, I think out of fear that I would spend the rest of my stint draw-swamping barrels.

I did end up investing many hours in the "Forbidden Swamp"(I called it under my breath) and after about ten or so filings on ruined blanks I got good at it. But that lock plate is around here somewhere daring me to be confident now.

Please take this post as a true compliment from one who likely has less talent than you(as I was a racer-all guts, no talent) and who is certain that you will keep on- the down the roads won't be better efforts- just better results. Do not let this knife from your custody- it will be a fine yardstick as you grow into becoming a Master Smith. My respect and best regards, Mike-- PS- I have ordered a Nessmuk from Cariboo(maybe November) and this week took delivery of a damascus Nessmuk blank, which will be handled with jigged Gaboon Ebony( very black, like bone buried long and pickled in salt). No hilt,-none needed( my true favorite game knives have no guards/hilts). So, any tips you can pass on will be put to use. In fact, the other favorite game knife is a set of caribou antler handled, scrimshawed (alt. scrimshanded)Scandanavian laminated _____( I'm drawing a complete blank on proper spelling of the PPUUKKOO(smile)-delete unneeded letters. I can post pics if any are interested- down in bladesmithing.m

Edited by racer3j
typo