I Forge Iron

My Experiences so Far

So it's been about a month now since I got my forge setup and I've been practicing with my hammers and anvil and thought I'd share what I've learned so far.

1. Don't wear shorts ;)

2. Wear pants (leg hair doesn't count, see #1)

3. It's not as easy as it looks.

4. Coal seems to burn faster when people are talking.

5. Post vices are hard to find in California. (And harbor freight vices are terrible)

6. It is as fun as it looks. 

7. Wives and neighbors are not as excited about the sound of hammer on anvil as you might be. :(

Good Morning,

The necessities of Blacksmithing;

1. Something to do

2. Something to heat it with

3. Something to hold it with

4. Something to hit it with

5. Something to hit it on

6. If your pants catch on Fire, they will become Shorts!

7. Enjoy the Journey. We all have the same Destination!!

Neil

1.  Try it in a kilt - nothing manlier than blacksmithing in a kilt!

2.  After #1, the second part of #2 is no longer an issue.

3.  Nope, but's that's half the fun.

4.  Ditto Smoggy

5.  They turn up, keep your eyes open and be ready to buy when you find one.

6.  Absolutely!

7.  Nor the smell of hot iron and coal, nor the sooty footprints/handprints!

6 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Shoot I forge on a fairly regular basis wearing just a tunic, (or a tunic and trews in cold weather).  Few people make a comment about you wearing a dress when you are bearded and holding a sparking hot bar of steel in one hand and a 1500 gm hammer in the other!

That'd make for a picture. :lol: put that on an IFI shirt! 

Generally if heckled I'll offer to hot shoe them for free  "last pair of shoes you'll ever need---they wear like iron!"  If asked if it will hurt I'll say "shoot no, I'll wear hearing protectors"  (or "I'll have my apprentice stick his fingers in my ears while I shoe you..."  the apprentice's expression is usually amusing at this point...)

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Generally if heckled I'll offer to hot shoe them for free  "last pair of shoes you'll ever need---they wear like iron!"  If asked if it will hurt I'll say "shoot no, I'll wear hearing protectors"  (or "I'll have my apprentice stick his fingers in my ears while I shoe you..."  the apprentice's expression is usually amusing at this point...)

Lol. 

I'm not one to discriminate much on what someone chooses to wear. Tho I wouldn't think sandles while forging is a good idea unless you like dancing or have a high pain tolerance. Even with that I've seen videos of guys in India forging knives in bare feet. Who am I to judge. I'll stick with my boots tho. ;)

Speaking of # 1...while in China a few years back and visiting a manufacturer, I noticed that the guys arc welding would do it in shorts and flip flops, squatting down with the part being welded just in front of them.

The front of their legs looked like my 130 year old Grandma's.

You forgot the corollary to #4:  As soon as you get the forge fire blazing really well, that's when "nature calls" and you have to find the bathroom 

Hi, GIJosh, just so happens I was born and raised in Fresno and still have brothers and sister living in Fresno. I live in NE Washinton for some time now. Winters are much colder here than in the central valley of California but our summers are a good 10-12 degrees cooler. Good luck with your decision.

100_1728.JPG