I Forge Iron

Omega watch?

SoCal Dave

I saw a commercial on TV about an omega watch that was created after an astronaut said the moon is gray.  It was something like that, but the interesting part was how they made the watch.  They took a metal to make the frame and bombarded it with carbon, argon, and something else to make a new metal.  This is got to be BS?  I know that argon is an inert gas used in tig welding so I don't think in would impart any critical changes to any metal.  Plus, I don't think bombarding it with gases would change the metal very much.  If you have seen this commercial, is this possible?   I'm not a metallurgist and inquiring minds want to know .  

It was probably the talking head not really knowing what s/he was talking about or fed lines by a producer who didn't.

If you close a positively charged target in a chamber under partial vacuum inert atmosphere and subject the deposition material to an arc. The ionized, negatively charged deposition material will be attracted to the target and plate itself evenly. The process is called "Sputtering."

This is how they put molecule thick layers gold on plastic lenses. Do some seriously interesting "plating"  including some circuitry. I imagine some marketing guy thought s/he'd get more millage by puffing the process. I suppose if you were to look creatively "new" materials could be claimed but . . . I call it sales puffery.

Frosty The Lucky.

"As seen on TV"  Surely that means it's Gospel! Why is the everyone  such a doubting Thomas? :D

Frosty thank you for the definition of "sputtering " I had though is was the oral diarrhea the comes from a politician's mouth when he tells the world that there isn't actually any risk when you take in thousands of refugees that you can't possibly screen properly. 

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

If you close a positively charged target in a chamber under partial vacuum inert atmosphere and subject the deposition material to an arc. The ionized, negatively charged deposition material will be attracted to the target and plate itself evenly. The process is called "Sputtering."

This is how they put molecule thick layers gold on plastic lenses. Do some seriously interesting "plating"  including some circuitry.

I'd always heard of the process as vacuum metalizing.

20 hours ago, DSW said:

I'd always heard of the process as vacuum metalizing.

That'd be a good descriptive term but all kinds of things can be "sputtered". I have NO idea why they call it "sputtering" unless maybe the arc makes a sputtering sound or something.

I understand the confusion Ian but sputtering is only a politician's oratory style if someone expects a straight answer and tries pinning them to one.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw a commercial about how a truck bed was made out of the same rolled steel that the hulls of submarines are. (BIG ONES, ie US Navy) Yet I'm about 100% sure that no truck manufacturer is using HY80 for their trucks, and I'm also about 100% sure that's what sub hulls are made of

One of the jobs my Dad worked on at Mare Island Naval Shipyard was boring the Polaris missile tubes. One cut from top to bottom took all shift to do. IIRC he said they were 8' in diameter.

The forge shop had some big steam hammers. I got to watch them in action during a family day. I should still have the auction listing kicking around somewhere. If I find it I will post up what they were on the power hammer section.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh so very cool to express a logical speculation and have it be correct. I was right!  :D YAY!

I read about the original bug too. That was in the very early tube and mechanical switches computer days wasn't it? I'm thinking WWII?

Frosty The Lucky.

On 11/29/2015 at 8:15 PM, ianinsa said:

"As seen on TV"  Surely that means it's Gospel! Why is the everyone  such a doubting Thomas? :D 

No, you're thinking of the Internet. Everything's true on the Internet.

I don't think so...

also from computerhistory.org: 

September 9, 1947

First Instance of Actual Computer Bug Being Found

At 3:45 p.m., Grace Murray Hopper records the first computer bug in her log book as she worked on the Harvard Mark II. The problem was traced to a moth stuck between a relay in the machine, which Hopper duly taped into the Mark II's log book with the explanation: “First actual case of bug being found.”