I Forge Iron

First knife I am proud of.

SpencerD

This is the first knife that I am proud to call mine although it is going to be given to my sister as a Christmas present, she said she wanted a "pirate" knife for her renaissance fair costume so this is what I've come up with. It's made from a railroad spike and I did put the bumps in it on purpose no matter how much they irk me to give it that rough look. I also twisted the handle then hammered the sides flat for a handle that feels good in the hand while looking pretty. If you have any thoughts and tips I would love to hear them

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, TheoRockNazz said:

Looking good, prettier than my first knife by a long shot. What did you do the grinding on, bench grinder? 

Nice nug hanging out on the desk there, that for scale? haha

HaHa, I think that might be a bit of a dead leaf or something I don't know. I did use a bench grinder for lack of a better tool but it seems to have done a good job I could have done a better job on my part mostly.

Grab yourself a good metal file; these early pieces are great filing practice. Then follow that up with sandpaper. I always leave hammer marks and a touch of scale on my blades, but you need to clean up the bevel so that it is an effective cutting tool. 

How did you heat treat? Softer steels like RR spikes benefit from a water quench, and although they will never be as hard as tool steel, can prove practical and useful. 

4 hours ago, TheoRockNazz said:

How did you heat treat? Softer steels like RR spikes benefit from a water quench, and although they will never be as hard as tool steel, can prove practical and useful. 

I heated it to a nice Bright orange then quenched the blade before putting the whole knife in swirling gently.

Oooh, yeah, no offense but it's time for some reading: http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/143-knife-making-classes/

There are some great lessons available here at IFI that will help you tremendously in your journey. For now you need to be safe and tell your sister not to use that knife for her own safety. Technically the RR spike will not match the hardness of tool steel / high carbon steel, although if quenched at bright orange it can snap like tool steel, even if you tempered it. 

Additionally, when you ground that tip it got too hot and lost it's hardness - you can tell by the blue oxidization - meaning it will bend easily and loose it's edge fast... just make sure she's careful with it.

I encourage you to keep at it, this is a great start. Look at the classes, practice on some leaf springs, and forge on :)

6 hours ago, kayakersteve said:

Off of RockNazz post, a knife needs to have the ability to harden to be too brittle where a break could occur. In this case, you cant harden a RR spike enough due to low carbon content, so I believe she can have fun using it, but it will not hold much of an edge at all.

I don't plan on actually putting an edge on it due to its costume purpose just so she will be able to carry it around without any fuss.

13 hours ago, kayakersteve said:

It appears to already have an edge, albeit a crude one.

I didn't post a picture of it but on the "edge" there is a solid 1/4th of a millimeter of flat metal where the blade should be so it looks like it has a edge until you actually examine it.

Good Morning Spencer,

What part of the BC are you making a shadow. If you put a few more particulars in your Avatar, you are probably close to someone who can help you.

A first knife (?) from a Railway Nail. A great start. Probably no different than just about everyone here. Some like them shiny, some don't. I hope your sister enjoys it, It will be a Great Gift.

Neil

Im from Langley and im making pancakes, they tasted pretty great, on fire bricks heated by the forge.

16 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

What part of the BC are you making a shadow. If you put a few more particulars in your Avatar, you are probably close to someone who can help you.

Good Morning Spencer,

Next time you build Pancakes, add Cottage Cheese to the batter. it makes them taste like Sourdough, only better!! I was told this by an older German fellow, He said "Don't critisize me until you try it. Then I will answer your questions". I am not allowed to make Pancakes now, if there is No Cottage Cheese in the Shack!!

There are many different ways to treat the 'Poor Nail', Don't be afraid to experiment "Make-Em till you Break-Em". You never know where "Too Far" is until you get there. Then just come back a little bit!! Gunnar Jorgensen in Invermere has a Display Board of about 40 different things to make from the 'Poor Nail (some call it a Spike)'. When you start stretching one out, you can get a great length (then tie it in a Bow).

Neil

Good Morning,

Swede, I have to try that now :)

I mix my pancakes from scratch, 2 cups flour, milk or water, 2-3tsp Baking Powder, little bit of sugar (1tsp +/-), 2-3 heaping tblsp of Cottage Cheese. Don't mix too much, let it sit a minute for the Baking Powder to kick off. Make Happy Faces in the Pan. I make mine full size of the pan. One Pancake=One plate. Add a little syrup or whatever you like, Sit down, Shut-up (not supposed to talk with Food in your mouth anyway!!), ENJOY!!!

I tried Cottage Cheese in Waffles, the Cottage Cheese sticks to the waffle irons.

Neil