I Forge Iron

peter wright

Hi im still very new to forging and recently got on old peter wright, according to the person i bought it from it weighs 187, its got a real nice face and i payed $600 for it. One way or another its still a big step up from my old harbor freight cast iron crap.

thanks Ethan     

The numbers are cwt. 1st number is incriments of 112 lbs, 2nd is incriments of 28 lbs, 3rd is single lbs. The weight should be somewhere around 187 lbs give or take a few lbs. Can't help with a date. We love pictures though :)

Edited by Crazy Ivan

Tip looks fine!   A sharp tip is NOT an advantage; to understand why pick up a new geologist hammer with the sharp pick end and hit yourself in the upper leg region a couple of times hard...then you will understand why some anvils even seem to have the end of the horn hammered down to a rounded end.  For small items a bick  (miniature anvil horn) that fits in the hardy hole works just fine.

• 1 month later...

From those same wacky folks that gave you pence, farthings, quid, crowns, and pounds sterling as a monetary system: no, we are not joking. That was the way things were done in Old Blighty, back when the sun never set on the British Empire.

Just like we have sixty seconds in a minute, sixty minutes in an hour, but 12 hours twice a day: It Is Tradition!! Now, we could have gone to Metric Time (100 seconds in a minute, 100 minutes in ten hours, and ten hours twice a day) when the French Revolution ushered in meters, etc., but it never caught on. (Think I am joking? Google it.   0.864 metric seconds to the customary second.)

Crazy-ness.

I work in a shop that has one. I think it is stamped 132. I have always told folks it is 132 pounds. Now I will inform them it is some sort of code.

So first no. Is 112 pounds. second no. Is quarters of something. Third no. is in pound representing something else not included in the first coded nonsense.

Got it. 

This is English anvils only I pray.

1 hundredweight ( cwt ) 112 lbs is a twentieth of a ton, 30 years ago it was a common weight for bagged goods like sand, cement, coal but more recently things have gone metric.

quarters have not been used much in the last 75 years at least and maybe longer

pounds were used untill things went metric

You think that's crazy! No crazier than the continued use of other systems of measurement for distances, drill sizes, metal and wire sizes, and a plethera of other systems. If any of those are confusing, don't even contemplate the cord or gallon!

Personally I can't fathom it out, I just find the measurement thing a ton of confusion........

As for the PW, there is nothing wrong with those edges, it simply has addition useful features.:D

Human systems of measurement are proof positive Heisenburg was right. The only right answer in these situations is, "I'm not certain."

For instance a weather guesser last winter said the temp outside was something like -25 Kelvin. Funnier still, not ONE of the other 4 people on stage gave him a second look. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Well we've always been told Alaska is cold. Whats wrong with it being 25 deg below the point where all molecular motion stops? Hey fuel costs should be dirt cheap if that's the case. You can just go out with a bucket and collect all the solid hydrogen and oxygen you want to fuel your forge. :lol:

They were talking about the mid-west on the national news. We've been pretty war the last couple winters. I don't know how many times it was warmer here than in Alabama or Georgia last winter.

Darned El Ninos, they go away so soon. :(

Frosty The Lucky.