I Forge Iron

T Burner Illustrated Directions

Frosty

For instance, I have never agreed that copper refrigeration tubing, was the best choice to plumb a forge. This is becuase I desired the incoming fuel gas to remain as cold as possible, to help prevent backfiring of very small burners buried deeply within large forges. But we are now saying that people should keep them just inside the shell, which I agree with, so things have changed.

Furthermore, while there is a great many choices of fuel hose available in this maketnplace, that is not true in most of the world. So, refrigeration tubing is becoming the practical choice most places, and an acceptable choice everywhere. Thus, my reluctance is changed to agreement.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I've never made a really small burner so I have no first hand experience with them backfiring.

1", 3/4" and 1/2" Ts seem unaffected by coldish or ambient propane temp differences so I have no arguments with which to to contend. 

Don't worry Mike when you and I get to agree on too much we can always disagree about what the newer folk are doing. Maybe argue temperature differences in Kelvin. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

Whether I agree with your conclusions or not, we think differently enough to give readers more than one viewpoint; this is valuable. I hope we never agree so well that what I say and you say has no difference. Then readers would be made poorer by our complete agreement. For even when we agree our views aren't identical. So, if someone just doesn't get what one is stating, he or she may get what the other has to say:)

Conclusions aren't "A" thing, they're constructs arrived at from many things. Even if we shared a virtually identical conclusion our chains of "facts" are different. A good topical example is a propane forge. The conclusion might be 300cid at 2,700f but how that conclusion was determined might be unrecognizably different. 

I'm not worried about finding things to discuss if we have to invent them. Baffling folks is good for them, it opens their minds to the idea of new ideas not having to make "sense."

Frosty The Lucky.

Pretty soon now all those guys that are racing to get their garage warmers...er, ah, I mean gas forges done before winter sets in, showed start checking in and asking questions on tuning them up, huh?

I especially like setting a mini forge about two feet back of my six on the cement floor, and enjoying that warm fuzzy glow during the holidays :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 3:19 AM, Frosty said:

Should work if the jet is aligned straight down the mixing tube. Check the supply fitting at the bolt with soapy water to check for leaks. Let us know how it works please.

Frosty The Lucky.

Here you go, I don't really ubderstand what makes a good flame, so I would appreciate it if Mikey or frosty could help me tune it. VideoCapture_20221009-104455.thumb.jpg.3099357e5b3c0015e606a8cceeb45250.jpgVideoCapture_20221009-104450.thumb.jpg.5bab1d51b929e48194dfc1e665a78ff0.jpgVideoCapture_20221009-104453.thumb.jpg.b6dd63e99169489f8981a9a80442f4a6.jpg

All three photos show a pretty good flame shape, which is plenty long enough. I don't see evidence of a secondary or tertiary flame; this is also good. A single burner is heating up the forge into yellow incandescence, which is better; this is happening in a forge with both ends wide open, which causes me to conclude that your burner is giving excellent performance. Is that a pretty clear answer?

If you rig thermal baffles in front of the openings as described by Mike I'm thinking  you'll be able to melt steel in it. EZ welding temp. With the ends wide open as shown it's dumping at a guess 40% of the flame energy to the room.

I think you have a serious work horse of a forge now, just wait till you make the thermal baffles. You'll be bragging and rightfully so.

Frosty The Lucky.

Once again I note that an exceptionally hot new forge design is a "D" shape. We really need to encourage these builders to write up a simple account of how they went about their construction.

There are probably hundreds of others who would love to follow his lead. I don't care whether someone is a recognized expert or a newbie. Good design speaks for itself.

I believe he did post pics and ask questions while he was building it. 

The only thing that makes me cringe a little is "D shaped forge" is just to un-sexy a name for such an effective shape. Once again I'd like to move that we officially call this shape forge a "Vault" forge. D is the shape of the cross section where Vault has been the name for that 3D shape in architecture since when, Minoa, Greece. . . ? 

Come on Mike picture yourself showing folks around the shop and you come to your forge. Would you rather say, "This is my D shape propane forge." Or, "This is my propane Vault forge." Your guests would then ask, "Vault, what's a Vault forge?" You'd get to explain why it's called a vault or perhaps Vaulted and how much more effectively it heats steel than a box or rectangular forge.

Seriously Mike a Vaulted forge just jumps over a D shape as far as terminology. So come on man, Vault on up to a properly Sexy forge name. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

While I wouldn't have built the burner like that I have access to fittings better suited to the way I build them. You on the other hand built the burner with what you had and tuned it near perfectly. You have nothing but my respect for a job brilliantly done.

Frosty The Lucky.

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

Vault has been the name for that 3D shape in architecture since when, Minoa, Greece. . . ? 

If you want to be technical, the shape in question is a "barrel vault", although "vault" by itself is certainly appropriate. The earliest known barrel vaults were constructed by the Sumerians about seven thousand years ago. (NB: While the Romans loved vaults, the ancient Greeks didn't use them at all. In Greece, the abundance of stone made post-and-lintel construction much easier, while both the Sumerians and the Romans had easier access to brick, which lends itself to vaulting. Minoan architecture didn't use vaults, but did have some corbelled arches.)

The word "vault", on the other hand, comes from the Latin "volta" by way of Old French. There are older English spellings dating from the 14th to the 17th centuries (with some survivals in regional dialect up to the early 1900s), but the earliest known use of the modern spelling is 1545.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

a job brilliantly done

Agreed.

13 hours ago, BayardStrachan said:

I was a bit apprehensive with the burner, what with it being a bit of a Jerry rigged construction but sounds like it's going good. 

We don't care about something being "jury rugged," so long as it works. We even try not to get cranky when people depart from our instructions, and need a little help to get back on track. Any way people cross the Finnish line is good enough. We do get sarcastic if people complete goof something up, and then want to argue about it, while we attempt to get them out of the ditch.

After all. a mere twenty-rwo years ago (even more for old man Jerry), we were you :)