I Forge Iron

Better Than An ASO

Hey guys, still working on building my forge, but here are a couple pics of what will be my anvil, at least until I find something better. It's a chunk of 4150 plate 3" thick, and was 16" in diameter. I had a friend of mine cut off the three sides so I could mount it directly to a stand, for a decent sized face (3" X 12"), and to have a flat surface on the side to weld one of the drops cut in half to as a horn. I'll also be cutting a notch in the "horn" piece that will be my hardy hole. May also find some thick plate and weld an upsetting block on the side of the base somewhere...

12112323_462677913904349_314862739881232

12118819_462677933904347_625411047624416

She's a sweet looking anvil. don't drill or machine a hardy hole weld one on. My preference is to use a couple pieces of 1" sq and one piece of 1"x3" welded to the side making a 1" hardy hole with 1" thick sides.

The trimmings suggest a long list if useful shapes but don't get in a hurry to use them or something better will come right up soon as you finish.

Frosty The Lucky.

So you wouldn't use one of the drops  to make a horn from Frosty? I was going to cut the hardy hole into the trimming. I plan on mostly doing axes and blades, so I don't think I'll really need a horn that terribly often, but I do want to have it should I need one.

If it were mine, I'd either do a Hardy like Frost described that was welded to the full side opposite the radius. That way you can still roll it on the side to use the radius for drawing. Or I'd figure out a way to cut one into the wide side face, and just lay the anvil on its side to use the hardy. Again still allowing you to roll to use the radius side. Beautiful anvil if you ask me.

Edited by ThorsHammer82

Disappeared reply!!

Isn't a horn a useful shape? There are a LOT of potential useful shapes. Just don't be in a hurry to use the stock. Just because you have something doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. Think of it like money in savings rather than checking.

Frosty The Lucky.

Definitely a gorgeous anvil!

I'd use it as-is for the next year so you can learn what you need and where you need it.  Horns are rather over-rated and a small bick can be chucked into a vise if you need to make a bend in something.  The radiused side of the anvil will be more than enough for drawing stock out, and I prefer a selection of pipe sections for making bends because they're a uniform radii.

If, in a year, you really find that a horn or hardy hole is a "must have", cypher out the best way to add one.   Until then, no sense in making work for yourself.

Horns are really great for making bottle openers, but a drift will do in a pinch.  Bending or welding chain can be done off the edge of the anvil, and drawing can be done on a hump ground in the top or already present on your anvil.  I don't use a horn much, but it is nice to have.  It is also useful for welded hearts.  It is hard to fully open the heart without a big cone shape.  I just bought a cone mandrel which should do this job well, though.

I thought about this thread on Friday, at a local junkyard they had a pile four times as tall as I am and at least 40 feet long that had block after block after block of heavy steel, old manufacturing parts and pieces, no doubt.  I thought anyone looking to get into smithing could do well with any number of items from that stack as a beginner anvil-like object, they'd be just fine, and at 23 cents a pound it'd be hard to beat.  Specially as tough as it is to find anvils around here.

what's the plan for the brackets to hold it down better? If it where mine, I'd get some large angle iron. drill holes in it for mounting to the stump, and for passing bolts through to the side of the anvil. Weld some nuts on and use large bolts to clamp it in place. I'd be interested to hear what others would do.

Waste of time doing a rebound test with a brass hammer. You need hard steel on steel. Brass is a dead blow hammer that deforms on impact with virtually no rebound.

You think finding blacksmithing tools is hard where you live? You ought to give it a shot in Alaska. With rare exception most guys here buy something new and have it shipped up for the bargain basement price in the $6-7/lb.

If you make the bracket to hold that baby to the block so it can slip in and out you'll be able to flip it to different edges with a pry bar. That'd let you put a number of useful shapes on it.

I'd be happy as a clam working on that baby. Not that I'd trade my Soderfors in on it, clams just don't get THAT happy. (Anybody know where "happy as a clam" came from?)

Frosty The Lucky.