I Forge Iron

A good QS for me, even though I left early.  Picked up two anvils on the way out, found three more at QS, and left Saturday morning to get another.  Coming home was a NOS 250  lb Fisher, absolutely mint(the rearmost anvil).  Two almost NOS 100 lb Fisher/Crossley, a 130 lb Colonial, a broken STAR, and a 54 lb French "Pig" style double horn.  On top is a custom Aaron J Cergol monster claw hammer, made for me.  I even sold some stuff too.IMG_20150928_123551153.thumb.jpg.63c0271

Hey guys I thought you all would enjoy some of the photos I took at the quadstate here in Ohio this year. I figure if anyone is going to appreciate them it would be you guys.

I'm sure a lot of you have heard of it but if you haven't the Quadstate Blacksmithing Conference here in Ohio is a fairly large gathering of blacksmiths, bladesmiths and various vendors along with quite a few demonstrations of all sorts put on by Souther Ohio Forge and Anvil, or SOFA. I believe there were 12 or 14 demos this year and I spoke with the president of SOFA who was telling me they had their biggest showing to date.

The demos were fantastic, I watched Matthew Parkinson forge a kitchen knife, there was a fella who made some fantastic medieval looking lights that were amazing I wish I could have got a picture but the place was packed. Sadly I didn't get to see Ric Furer's demo as it was Sunday I wasn't able to make it then.

For blacksmiths its a paradise. Anvils, post vises, steel, and pretty much everything you could want as far as the eyes can see. I bought a nice giant vertical forge for a song and if I wasn't looking for a house I may have picked up a 100lb little giant as the prices were pretty good.

So enough rambling on to the photos!

These were just awesome and the last two actually played!

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

Not sure how to insert photos on the new code so I'll make a couple posts so my descriptions match.

This anvil / swage transformer was pretty cool and massive

IMG_0253.JPG

Looks like the board will format it for me, posts are getting merged :D

These were some youth knives in the display area

IMG_0252.JPG

This bike was really cool. The attention to detail was incredible. Note the handle bars are tongs, I missed that the first couple times I looked at it. It ran too he was driving it up and down the rows of vendors.

IMG_0257.JPG

I saw this guy last year and thought it was pretty cool. 

IMG_0255.JPG

And finally my new vertical forge. It needs lined, a burner and a blower but I paid a hundred dollars for it so I'm pretty happy with the deal. It will take up to about an 8" stack of damascus if I so desire :D  Far more than I need now or in the near future but eventually that 100 pound hammer will land in my shop...

IMG_0258.JPG

Well I hope you guys enjoy them. If anyone else was there and has some pictures please post them I'd love to see them. So much there I no doubt missed stuff. In addition to the forge I picked up about 4' of 1" cable, a couple of hammers for cheap and a few small things I'm forgetting. Didn't buy a whole lot, but I went there for some tom tongs and the guy that usually sells them wasn't there this year due to illness.

I got to see some new and old friends and I met and had a chat with IFI's own Steve Sells :D All in all it was another fantastic time and I'm looking forward to next years.

-Clint

Here are a few photos from opening ceremonies. The demo was by Alabama Art Casting they made a anvil. This was my 3rd year and it get better every year. Took the Tomahawk class by Butch Sheely learned a lot, will have to try to make one.  I pick up a real nice 150 lb Fisher Anvil at a good price. Great event.  

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

How do they pedal that bike?

It was a motorcycle technically and had an engine. It was pretty cool zipping up and down, though I wouldn't want to be in the side car or what he was appropriately calling a "hot seat" :D

Nice photos Jacob, I heard they poured an anvil the first day and I was disappointed I didn't get to see that. Looks like they did a fantastic job. 

I was actually at SOFA for two weeks for an ABS bladesmithing class right before Quadstate and got to meet and spend some time with Butch. He is a great guy and really knows his stuff. There was also an ABS knife show the weekend I was there and Butch had some of his tomahawks on display. Highend stuff!

IMG_0134.JPG