I Forge Iron

prayers and grace for the next 2 weeks

GottMitUns

To the whole IFI gang.

I would like to ask for your prayers and a little grace for the next 2 weeks if I ask simple newbie questions that are easily researched.

I do short term missionary work every year thru my church, and this year have been asked to set up a black smith shop in Nicaragua at a Young Life or Vida Jovian camp there.   I have been on the phone with Glenn and have a plan for getting a 55 forge up and running and there is already a anvil on hand down there that I saw on my last trip but not much else.

I have 2 duffel bags stuffed to the weight limit with reference books and time consuming start up tools that I'm taking with me, and they have been scrounging up axles, springs, barrels, buckets, pipe and clay. 

What I am going to be the shortest on is time and knowledge and certainty.  I would know if I have 110volt 12volt or 0volt, or if I will have a tin roof, thatched roof or no roof over the shop area until I get there. Once I am there I will have about 5 working days to setup and teach what I can from my limited knowledge base to someone who may of may not understand my brand of tex/mex Spanglish.

I should be able to get on the web at night and early in the morning, if I can I will try and post pictures of what things look like and the progress that gets made.

Thank you for your support!

Russell Doerr

First off show someone there how to use the internet and access IForgeIron. This will keep the knowledge available and flowing after you leave.

If you have any questions, just ask. We will try for direct answers but will throw in references that you can look up for more detailed or specific information.

Enjoy the trip and take lots of photos.

You want a little slack do you? I have a LOT of slack for folk doing good things. I'll be honored with the privilege to do what I can to help you help them.

Pics, lots of pics! A recipe or two might be nice too. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Reset your blacksmithing barometer to expect no electricity.  That means bellows or hand blower, any large chunk of steel for an anvil, the forge tuyere possibly set into the ground, etc.  Be creative and don't let the lack of something you would expect to find here become an obstacle.

Best wishes and stay safe - I used to spend quite a bit of time south of the border but I can't run fast enough anymore.  Godspeed and good luck.

Edited by HWooldridge

Well I'm just about packed up55c386f2996c4_IMG_18931.thumb.JPG.1b72a4

Of the 190 pounds of luggage I think 20 pounds of it is clothes, sleeping bag and toiletries.   The rest is blacksmithing gear and books, there is a Champion blower, 4" post vice and a Victor cutting rig complete with hose and regulators in amongst that stuff.. 

I had to balance the 40.00 per bag verses the time it would take to recreate what in the bags given my limited 5 day window.

We are flying out of Houston at 12:30 on Saturday.

We have 9 other people going down so everybody gets to check one of their bags and one of mine!

Thanks

Russell

IMG_1893[1].JPG

image.thumb.jpg.e121837e3606cd0093915d78image.thumb.jpg.50468002c4b3db1c255aae48image.thumb.jpg.699707eec6155dcb851aca1dI Made it down and things are going good!

shop is real close to set up and we have our first job in the morning. image.thumb.jpg.40abf86e22d6c0e20f67f2f8Noe I have a heat treat question to throw at yall. 

I have to build some hatchets for dressing concrete with. They will be made from leaf spring rolled around a mandrel 

I have water or motor oil to quench in I'm thinking about leaving them normalized. What do yall think? If I do quinch them, what in and what color do I draw them back to.

i will get back on the web in the morning as Internet is limited

thank you

russell

image.jpg

xxxx "forbiden" deamons!

Might want to cut a bit more of the back out to pass stock threw, more than half but no more than a third (the curve has plenty of strengh.

If we are talking about soft simi vitrafied adobe or normal adobe an axe dose just fine, hard and soft brick cut muck better with a wide cold chesel to score (make it like your cuting steel) 

Draw the axe so a fine file just touches the blade. Harder is great but most folks use a file and a soft stone to sharpen them, the locals may well be using a file and sand stone. 

Russell: Didn't you bring a copy of Wygers', "Complete Modern blacksmith?" :o

It has all you need to know about making stone dressing tools. From: field ID of scrap to heat treat for the intended use and maintenance.

Frosty The Lucky.