I Forge Iron

Feather pattern kitchen knife

mike-hr

John Emmerling and Peter Clark watched over me all day at a recent hammer-in, this was the result. 1095, 1060, and 15n20. All fluxless welding in a propane blown ribbon burner forge with a thermocouple and temperature readout. Came out pretty nice.

mh

feather blade.JPG

It is really difficult to get a pic to come out without flash or sun burn. My friend Gina took the picture above, it took her a while to get it to standards, I didn't want to ask her to go through it again for the other side...I did get some sub-par shots on my eyephone, apologies.

Raw billet, 1st etch after forging, side 'B'

first etch.JPG

billet.JPG

other side.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all, I, in fact, do intend to make more pattern welded niceties. I really lucked out with this piece. There were 50 ways it could have messed up fatally. I paid a lot of attention to the number of hammer blows per side, grinding all traces of schmoo off before re-stacking, re-hydrating with the finest single malts on hand, and listening to my mentors.  Fluxless welding in a gas forge sho' 'nuff works, with a little soak time, and the right temps. I need to do some practicing on my home forge, which is similar to the one used in this blade, but I live at 4200 ft elevation, and the curve is steeper. I have a raw billet prepped, and will start in on it, as soon as I finish watching Batman.  

batman.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I got volunteered to cook large lumps of red meat at a hammer-in last weekend in north California. I made Texas style low and slow briskets and tri-tips for 40 head, 2 days. The meals came out fantastic, and my new feather knife threw some class into the carving department.

IMG_0510.JPG

Stupid ME !!!!! and I stayed home to work on a fisherman's job & stuff around here :wacko:

and for what I got done I shoulda went it took the same amount of beer either way 

Looks tasty Mike I will have to bug chad on the meeting & pics

PS -- Mike you Make another feather pattern yet ?? were doing alot of pattern billets now, new forge up & running 

+ using press 65 ton to crush SS stuff to strange forms of Art --- HO then there's the crushed Gear flowers in the works  :o