I Forge Iron

what to make from 316 ss 2in+ round

So a while back i stopped at a local fab shop and was able to score some drops(about 50lbs of 4140,4130,some "unknowns" and a couple grades of ss).All of the drops were from 1.25 to 3 in' stock for tool making,question is what type of tools would be best to make from the 316.I know 316 isn't very harden-able but i like the idea of maybe a nice fancy stainless hammer,but in your guys opinion would it be better suited for bottom tools?top tools?the bar is marked 316ss on the end and was just wondering if it may have a bit of resilience for top/struck tools.Its about 2 1/8 or so round and like 16 inches long.thanks

Not a bad idea,i have a brass harbor freight hammer but its only 2lb.I guess i might be over-thinking it could probably just use it in place of mild for cupping tools and such as well.Just wondered if anyone has found it useful for anything,(dont have a power hammer or id draw into flat bar for decorative work).Thanks Thomas.

I keep threatening myself with the prospect of making some 316 stainless steel tools. They would be great for hot working 316 and 304 stainless without contaminating the surface. They might pick up and drag a bit if you don't keep a bit of graphite in the equation.

If they are involved with impact in any way it would be smart to anneal or normalise them fairly regularly to prevent failure through work hardening.

Alan

Of course you could always do what I did with the off-cuts from a 316ss project. Entrance gates and cattle grid at home. 

When my farmer neighbour saw it first, he said it ought to be on the front cover of Cattle Grid Monthly!

Alan

image.thumb.jpg.c560467959373ca05ad3838dimage.thumb.jpg.1b9e8e8fa48dc8266ea3cbbb

Oh yeah, that's a cover art cattle crossing and gate. Beautiful use of excess material far better destiny than the scrapper.

I like the dog's expression like s/he's asking you if you think that's going to slow him/er down. Silly human. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

One step across for her.

The old smart one used to walk across with no problem until one day in the snow she lost one leg down the gap…would never go across again, there is a belly rubbed hollow under the bottom gate rail now!

Alan

One step across for her.

The old smart one used to walk across with no problem until one day in the snow she lost one leg down the gap…would never go across again, there is a belly rubbed hollow under the bottom gate rail now!

Alan

Ayup, that's how they work.

Frosty The Lucky.

20K worth of work to replace 20 pennies worth of string! :)

Alan

But the string wasn't as pretty as this(and it looks better than in the picture):D besides this will last longer! Luckily you are a bit off the beaten track otherwise I recon someone would have tried to nick it by now. 

20k worth of work? I thought it was salvages stock on your own place. That makes it free doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Materials yes free-ish….if you ignore what I could have got for them for scrap...

The other little details:-  design, groundwork survey, drainage design,  excavating, multi block shuttering, truckload of concrete, cutting RSJ base frame, welding RSJ base frame, shipping RSJ base frame, galvanising of RSJ base frame, painting of RSJ base frame, M24 Stainless resin anchors for base frame, propane and electricity for forging stainless end rail flats from Ø50mm (Ø2") to 50x30mm (2"x1 1/4"), propane and electricity for forging end squashes, propane and electricity for forging rivets from Ø20mm (3/4") stainless, electricity for drilling rivet holes, propane and electricity to forge flags on 65mm (2 1/2") square, propane and electricity to punch holes in 65mm (2 1/2") square, propane and electricity to forge rain caps, electricity to machine bearing spindles, journals and rain caps, tools to form gate rail end caps, forming and welding gate rail end caps, shipping gate rails and grids, electro-polishing of gate rails and grids, welding gate rails, masking gate rails with rubber strip, shipping gates, shot blast and zinc spray gate posts, painting gate posts, installation, backfill with filter, manufacture and installation of hedgehog and toad ramps….I paid for.

And on top of the metalworking costs my assistant insisted I give him some money to feed and house his family…I ask you!  Any normal person would think the privilege of working on such a project would be sufficient reward!

True, there may also have been a slight exaggeration of a fiscal nature in the interests of alliteration, 20 pence of string to 20k gates jumped to mind a few years later when I watched (with only mild trepidation) a 20 tonne truck driving over it delivering a load of scalpings.

Alan

It's missing the little box of your business cards!  I'd expect to see a "by appointment" notice in the future!

I was once given part of a cattle guard by a smith it was 6' long pieces of railroad rail

Thomas, I always thought of the project in terms of business cards/ advertising/ exhibition.

Just to show potential clients what type of work I do/ can do in context when they visited. 

Even your railroad rail is going to be worth more the 20 pence worth of string…around £30 per metre over here for the lighter sections...

Alan

If ever there was a magazine that should be used in the Have I Got News For You "missing words from guest publications round", this is it.

I have always cringed every time that comes up just waiting for the BABA magazine to be ridiculed…unnecessarily cruel to pigeon fanciers and the friends of small furry animals societies…perfectly justified when lampooning the middle management magazines of any particular commercial niche market like Motorised Tie Rack and Trouser Press Sales Association, Basingstoke Branch,  however! :)

Alan