I Forge Iron

Heat Treating AISI 1018

Hello

I want to work on a sheet of AISI 1018 which must have inclusions (such as MnS, etc) in its structure as much as possible. The thickness of sheet is 1.5 mm.

Can I use annealing treatment to do this? or I have to use cold rolling for this purpose? Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Hello Cevat and welcome to IFI!

I think you need to read a bit about the basics. There are some problematic issues in your post:

- what do you want to achieve by heat treating?

- 1018 won't benefit from any heat treatment process, as it has too low carbon content (except the final normalizing after all the hammering is done on it)

- why would be manganese sulfide in your steel as inclusion?

- what would cold rolling do as an alternative method to heat treatment?

May I suggest that you just tell us what do you want to do, as simply as you can describe it.

And also try the search function on this site, there are many answers around here.

Bests to you:

Gergely

Annealing is heat treating. Cold rolled 1018 is stiffer than hot rolled unless it is annealed. 

MnS is formed in steel when Manganese (used in all steel production) combines with Sulfur (always present to some extent in steel)

1018 can be cold worked or hot worked. Cold rolling or working would be an alternative to annealing and or hot working.

I do think that knowing what your goal is would be helpfull. If your typeing and or spelling is as bad as mine contect is usefull to figure out what your up to. Are you trying to make an artistic item in wich inclusians is a part of the peice, or is the stock you have of such quality that inclusians are an issue? Reading your post it sounds like your want to create inclusians in the peice, but as a smith normaly we want to avoid them.

Hello Cevat and welcome to IFI!

I think you need to read a bit about the basics. There are some problematic issues in your post:

- what do you want to achieve by heat treating?

- 1018 won't benefit from any heat treatment process, as it has too low carbon content (except the final normalizing after all the hammering is done on it)

- why would be manganese sulfide in your steel as inclusion?

- what would cold rolling do as an alternative method to heat treatment?

May I suggest that you just tell us what do you want to do, as simply as you can describe it.

And also try the search function on this site, there are many answers around here.

Bests to you:

Gergely

Hello Gergely

Thanks for your comment;

I want to create inclusions in the sheet (not avoid them). this is necessary for making corrosion coupons used in laboratory examinations. in this case, more inclusions mean more interface of matrix and inclusions (like MnS) and this leads to better results.

simply, how I can create more inclusions in the structure of AISI 1018?  Heat treating, Cold rolling, or maybe Hot rolling?

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions

Heat treating and mechanical working of a piece of metal cannot increase the total amount of MnS present.  They may be able to change the size of the inclusions or how they are distributed but the total amount of MnS was set when the piece was smelted.  To increase the amount you will need to add more Sulfur to it and perhaps more manganese.  As this usually happens in it's liquid state you have a quandary.

Cutting and stacking pieces , then forge welding together.

Dirty fire probably means one that is using a high sulphur content coal , and air flow can also affect the outcome.

Where are you located?

I'm from iran.

I don't think Iran has a steel making industry does it? If so and you're wanting to make corrosion resistant coating for mild steel sheet you're looking at spray deposition. It's done with a purpose made torch, oxy acet or oxy prop and the device meters metal powder into the flame which then sprays it on the target.

OR you can electro plate it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Short of a very large furnace and rolling mill or press one would have to resort to explosive welding if you are looking at large peices of plate, for small peices the forge welding by hand, forging press, powerhammer or small rolling mill of two peices with the desired contaminents and then draw to thickness. 

Alsaloamu Alakum

I dont speak much Farci, but you are welcome here at I Forge Iron.   Its been summed up already: but I suggested using dirty coals to assist in leaving excess sulphur deposits in to the layers. while welding them. either in forge, or as explosion welding, both methods will require rolling to desired thickness after.  It is best to just make the steel with the needed qualities, but this was an idea. 

Manganese sulfide inclusions come from steel making making (liquid state) so you won't be able to add more of them by forging. You can add oxide type inclusions by forge welding sheets or plates in a way that does not completely seal them from the atmosphere during heating. However, that is not a controlled method  and it may not give you the type of inclusions you need to conduct your test. if you want a lot of manganese sulfides, switch from 1018 to 1117. This is a similar grade but has intenstionally elevated levels of managnese and sulfur to make lots of sulfides which aid in machining.

Annealing is heat treating. Cold rolled 1018 is stiffer than hot rolled unless it is annealed. 

MnS is formed in steel when Manganese (used in all steel production) combines with Sulfur (always present to some extent in steel)

1018 can be cold worked or hot worked. Cold rolling or working would be an alternative to annealing and or hot working.

Oops! I didn't know these. Looks like I'm the one who needs to read about the basics. Shutting up now and trying to learn...

Oops! I didn't know these. Looks like I'm the one who needs to read about the basics. Shutting up now and trying to learn...

No sweat Gergley we all learn things every day. It takes smarts and knowledge to recognize when we're wrong and confidence to admit it. It's a good trait. I don't know when I realized  the more I learn the more there is to learn. Good thing I like the learning curve, I'm stuck on it. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Uncle Frost. And as for learning: I'm marshing right away to the shop before it gets above 100 degrees temp.

Bests:

Gergely

Most of my nieces call me "Weird Uncle Jerry" for some reason. :blink:

Welcome to the family Gergley. I can't wait to introduce our new nephew Gergley to your new Auntie Scoot. Your cousin Dan is going to like you a lot.

Be cool, it's part of being in the Frost clan. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...