I Forge Iron

lug wrenches

hdwarner

i bought a surplus of identical lug wrenches for 25 cents each at the surplus material store
25 to be exact , trying to think of a usefull project
the kind that are bent at about 30 degrees
i was thinking of spacing three wrenches 120 degrees apart with the socket end down
and the shaft going straight up so to make like legs weld a piece of pipe in center and devise an adjustable stock stand .
or do the same but scroll the top of the wrench {where the hub cap removal blade is} weld a ring in the inside to hold those large flower pots.

does anyone know what kind of stell these are
can someone come up with something creative to do with these things

chuck

Most are usually a higher carbon steel, not sure which one. Some of the more experienced guys on here will know.

Use it like any other steel, should make strong forgings.

I've got a few in the resource barrel, curious to see some of the suggestions for use myself.

aaron c.

Steel with a bit of carbon,,unknown how much, I would make some punches chisels, hot cuts etc. I expect you will have to try a bit on the heat treatment. But that will not be hard to sort out. Also seems like a good material for a few more sets of tongs for the shop. I think you made a great buy. And by the way if they are the correct size you may want to keep one around for a lug wrench,,,Lol

The holdfast I sometimes use on my anvil (I usually use a weighted chain) is made from a lug wrench with the socket end cut off. If it will fit in your pritchel hole, just forge the end, bend it up and use it. Didn't heat treat at all. Leave the screwdriver end on, it's real handy for prying open forks or slits or tweaking baskets and it is always right there at the anvil.

I am sure I am not the first to do this but take the cross bend the two on the sides to make it look like a catus, cut off the bottom socket and plug wield it to a car leaf spring wich has a hole in the center already. Put candle cup's in the 3 sockets left and you have a gift for whom ever works on your car.

Hey guys, good ideas with the 4-WAY lug wrenches but the original question was for the SINGLE lug wrench "the kind that are bent at about 30 degrees". If welding on them I would use a 7018 rod or better, such as for bending fork. Rich Hale's ideas about the punches and chisels to me would be the way to go. I have a friend in Dallas that has a ton of punches and chisels made from these types of lug wrenches.

The sockets can be cut off and make forming tools for flowers and such. You would have four different sizes. That takes care of one, I don't know what to tell you for the other 24:D

Thanks
Steve

make flowers from the socket(spilit the socket 3 or 4 times and make flowers)

• 2 weeks later...

The socket end of lug (where the size goes from ~1/2" to ~1-1/4") makes a good mandrel for forming the "funnel" type top for candle holders on candle sticks.

The material is most likely a medium carbon steel (1030 to 1060) and would be good for tongs, limited us chisels and punches, unless they prove more durable, and smilar applications. This material should be water quencable (sp) followed by tempering to improve toughness.

Of course remember these were all made by the low bidder so steel quality is most likely not the best.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I make more tools from lug wrenches than anything else. They behave more like 5160 than anything. Good stuff-I buy all I can find at yard sales..
the cut off lug end works great for forming candle holders and such. I make a quick and dirty spring fuller by squaring up the lug end to fit my hardy hole and go from there.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...