I Forge Iron

New Anvils and new to anvils

My son, 14 YO, enetered trade schools this past September and has gotten interested in metal fab (he's made some nice stuff at school):  he asked if I could get him some basic metalworking stuff (anvil, etc.) and I was surprised at the prices when I started looking.

I've done a lot of reading on the subject over the last several weeks and have gottens some ideas.

I placed an ad in Craigslist for "Blacksmith Tools Wanted" and got a call this morning.

Went to look and ended up with:

Hay Budden (~250#)

Peter Wright (1.1.24) ??164#

Potable forge

Blacksmith vise

He threw in a generator (needs some engine work) and a cast iron kettle (for my woodstove).

All for $400 (I bought a lottery ticket)

He sold his house and needed to get rid of stuff:  he liked the idea of a 14 y.o. using the stuff...there really are a lot of nice people left in the world.

post-61501-0-88872200-1423359903_thumb.j

post-61501-0-80169500-1423359927_thumb.j

Welcome aboard Lucky, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be pleasantly surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

That's one SWEET deal. I'm sure the Gent who sold them to you feels a lot better knowing they're going to go to work rather than decorate a garden. It makes a difference to a craftsman when the tools of the trade are appreciated and desired.

Is your son aware modern fabrication rarely requires blacksmithing? There's nothing wrong with having as many tools in the mental tool box as possible so don't tell him what I said about smithing and fab. Okay?

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm going to cry myself to sleep over the anvils alone. Love on them and care for them gently. Keep the angle grinders distant. Feed them plenty of iron, and keep em warm......

Learned a long time ago in the army not to try to be jealous or rain on other people's parade for merely having extreme good fortune, but sometimes it's hard.........

Sweet deal. :P

So far my son has been exposed to sheet metal fabrication, welding, and also blacksmithing...in addition he's done work with cad/cam tools for laser curring as welll

as 3-D printing:  I've been very impressed with what they have been teaching him and he didi enjoy the smithing.

My older son is a Sr. in an Agricultural HS who has found a love affair with diesel engines and mechanics.  His first truck was a dodge cummins (early) that needed work,

so I was able to get some sheet metal quipment (slip roller, finger brake, and shear) (got all of those from a Boston Start up company for pennies on the dollar) (more dollars thans sense) and a n AC/DC stic mahine and MIG macine (both almost new) from a guy who did welding at nuclear plants (agin those were pennies on the dollar:  he was moving to Florida next day and I was the only guy who called.  In any case, using what I got him, my son made an old truck look new, sold that and has a new fixer upper "Dodge Cummins".

I work on old tractos and single cylinder (hit&miss) engines and the sheet metal equipment and welders have come in real handy:  I learned to weld and have been having a great time with it, not prettiest welds in the world, but getting better.  I'm now looking forward to learning some basic blacksmithing:  I've watched quite a few videos and I have to admit I caught the bug and now have the basic tools.

Anyone around Rehoboth Ma who could show me the ropes would be real appreciated.

I'm liking you guys more all the time! You just can NOT beat a family passion no matter what it is. Positive passion that is of course.

Your request for folk near you is exactly why you need to put your general location in the header. Nobody is going to remember your neighborhood beyond  THIS POST, probably too many forge fumes but unless your location is in the header anybody who wants to visit or invite you over will have to bug you about it.

I'll bet there are at east half a dozen IFI guys within easy visiting distance of you IF they knew. It isn't a requirement so don't think you have to let folk know where you are even generally. . . Just saying.

Frosty The Lucky.

Great to hear of kids that enjoy working with their hand vs simply wanting to sit behind a computer and play games. It's also great to hear about a family that enjoys doing stuff like this together. Family time is never wasted time.

There's a ton of places up in the New England area that have classes on blacksmithing and metal working. Even if they aren't down the street from you, they probably aren't all that far away. I can't remember if it was here or on the welding site I help moderate that some one posted up a link to a place in RI that was offering blacksmithing and casting classes. That's about a 5 hr drive for me, but possibly not all that far from you. Then as mentioned there are probably individual members or groups in the area you might be able to joint.

This post is exactly what I was talking about on another thread. If you look, work hard enough, and have some patience, you can still get good deals on smithing gear.

Looks like you got a great start in this endeavor. Now start searching through the forum, and if you can't find the answer just ask.

I agree with Ausfire, the gentleman who passed this gear along to you should get a gift in appreciation.

Thanks for all the comments, kind words and encouragement:  yesterday my older son had several of his friends over (17 to 20 yo range) to remove snowplow mounts from one truck (that are going onto my sons Dodge Cummins)....My son is welding in mounts for a brush bar on the truck the snow plow mounts came off....a little bit of bartering going on as well as ton of testosterone and good times in the garage.  Though they tend to make a mess I'm really pleased my son feels comfortable having his buddies over...they all call me dad and my wife mom.  My wife went out and got them pizza....I remeber when I could eat like that.

Did add my location on the profile. Rehoboth MA

Tractors are:  1939 John Deere LA, 1946 John Deere M, Farmall Cub (1950 Demonstrator), a later model Cub-lo-boy (BTW, looking for deluxe seat frame) Case (model???never can remember) John Deeres and Cubs all restored but Case is in needs of work:  also 1949 Chevy (2 ton) (has been on the family farm for years and is anther project). (My photo is me on 1950 Cub at Memorial Day Parade). (Have had my eye out for a John Deere H if I can fijnd one at a fair price)

Oldest Son is Sr. at regional agricultural HS and plans to join Marines on graduation (Eagle Scout and four years in Naval Sea Cadets)

Youngest son is freshman at regional technical H.S. (workjing on his black belt in karate)

The younger boy is banging some metal at school which brings me here....though I'll admit I've always been intriqued with blacksmithing:  have seen demos at Woodstock Fair (Connecticut) and at Shelburen Museum in Vt and have alway though I'd like to give that a try.

You may be able to tell I'm a proud husband and dad, and also like my tractors, engines and a whole bunch of other stuff such as cabinetmaking.

I've found with restoring tractors and engines to just ask for help and you will get it in abundance.  I've aslo learned not to get between and enthusast and his opinions..when

restoring the John Deere M I posted a question about the best paint to use...well that started a "discussion" that is still going on...I asked 4-5 years ago. (just the posts on "primers" would fill volumes).

I've posted a question in "forges" as in my recent haul I got a Centaur forge and would apprceiate any information. (will add a picture)

I'm getting real itchy to bang some red hot iron. (I kinda go overboard when I get into a thing that interests me, but I'm sure none of you kind folks ave that sam affliction)

Hit and miss engines:  about 16 including Jaeger, Stover, New Way, IH, de laval (will post some photos)

post-61501-0-62043700-1423488280_thumb.j

post-61501-0-21949400-1423488281_thumb.j

post-61501-0-74513700-1423488281_thumb.j

post-61501-0-37512900-1423488282_thumb.j

post-61501-0-88019900-1423488282_thumb.j

post-61501-0-45460700-1423488283_thumb.j

post-61501-0-02095200-1423488284_thumb.j

post-61501-0-57189400-1423488284_thumb.j

post-61501-0-12565800-1423488285_thumb.j

post-61501-0-72743600-1423488285_thumb.j

Hey thanks for the details Pintail. Sorry for the delayed reply. Been havin' a bit of trouble posting. Nice collection ya got goin' there. I've got a few old tractors around here too. But I gotta say, I still love those hit and mis engines. I haven't been bitten by one yet, but who knows......if the right deal comes along, maybe. Welcome aboard, this is a great site......Take care Dave

Dave,

Thanks:  If you gte a hit and miss you will be hooked:  they are perfect form and function.  I can start one up and watch it run for hours - betty than anything on TV.

What have you got for tractors:  what we see around here for the most part is the smaller tractors as the farms are usually small....I've seen some monsters out your way, so I'd bet your are bigger 'n' mine.

Today I ended up getting two more anvils, One is a mystery and the other is a Fischer.  Just starting out I've been trying to find a couple of hammers and a few pair of tongs so that I have something to works with:  stopped by this korning to see a gentleman who advertised on Craigslist for some tongs, and ended up with 2 Anvils, two tongs, two nippers, and a cross pein hammer. (didn't expect to buy the anvils but they may be good for horse trading down the line).

I'll send a separte post with deatil on the anvils.

Pics of the lot are attached.

(My responses have been slow too:  All I've been doing is going to work and dealing with snow...no time for any fun right now.)  Can't wait to get some iron hot.

post-61501-0-38547900-1424124669_thumb.j

post-61501-0-93430900-1424124669_thumb.j

post-61501-0-52803600-1424124670_thumb.j

post-61501-0-82162500-1424124670_thumb.j

post-61501-0-09641800-1424124671_thumb.j

post-61501-0-42537600-1424124671_thumb.j

post-61501-0-10296700-1424124672_thumb.j

post-61501-0-42396600-1424124672_thumb.j

post-61501-0-65669900-1424124672_thumb.j

Pintail, no big tractors here, just antiques. 4 JD's ...36A, 38A, 51A and 51B. 2 Allis...35 WC (my grandfather bought new) and 39B I use for mowing. There's a 51 Massy 44, a 47 Co-Op E3, a 51 Farmall H and a Case 830D. They have all restored, some in church clothes . All are ready to work, parade or show. I've got a story for each one of course, but his is a blacksmithing site. I have several pull type plows, restored (14 I think). My goal is to one day be comfortable building up and sharpening plow shares. I am a member of 2 antique tractor clubs and now a 2 mo. old member of a local blacksmith group. Life is good..... Take Care Dave

Dave, sounds like a nice collection:  I've found with mine I keep one each of 12 and 6 volt battery and swap them between the tractor I plan to use.

I plan to start small with blacksmithing as taking on somethin too big too early can be discouraging: baby steps...

Dave *now* is the time to seek out older smiths who used to sharpen plow points on a regular basis; they are becoming few with the years.  About 15 years ago SOFA asked one of the members to demonstrate as we had all heard of this being a "bread and butter" job for rural smiths but he had actually done it in his youth!

Welcome to the club, Pintail.

I've always wanted a hit-n-miss engine.  There's something about them that's very relaxing to watch and listen to.

Thankfully, I have control over my addictive tendencies and have managed to evade the hit-n-miss bug.  It's a constant battle, though!  :D

Thanks VaughnT

If you succumb to your desires and give in to your addictive tendencies for a hit 'n' miss engine one won't be enough:  It's like a monkey on your back.

It's a nice monkey so I say go ahead and give in to your desires:  whats the worst that could happen, you end up with a nice monkey on your back.

I've got more projects than time and more time than money:  that said the engines, anvils, tractors, etc. that I'ce collected have all been gotten at very good prices (recent anvil purchases a prime example), I enjoy the dickens out of and use them, and they are appreciating in value a whole lot more thna the .5% the bank is offering, and when I sell things, for cash,  I don't owe a dime to the tax man.  What can be better than that.

Pintail, I must admit, I kinda have an in on the battery thing. My son works at an auto salvage yard and if I take in a junk battery I exchange it for a used one. I keep a few extras to sell cheep, to friends. Thomas I agree 100%...now is the time, but I haven't found "that guy" yet. I didn't see him at SOFA last year either. Seems "artsy craftsy" is getting to be the norm nowdays. At least that's the way it seems. The group I've joined is a traditional group, so when I get into it a bit more maybe someone will stand out. But as I've stated, I have a ways to go to get to that point. Wish me luck.....Dave